Thread: replication

Unanswered: replication

hi folks

i have an old application with sybase ASE 12 as the database on solaris 2.7 on sun sparc workstation . I am trying to build an application on a windows pc with windows 2000 as the OS. the application will repliacte the sybase db and carry out some analysis. I am using mysql 5 as the db as it is free. but there is no restrication. i can go for any db like sybase , oracle . but before deciding on that i am looking for database replication solution between the sybase on the workstation and the database on the pc . by replication i do not something like migration which is one time . i looking for something which is continous and writes only the updates to the target database , not all unchanged data.

please suggest a solution.

does any such solution exist between sybase and mysql.

very urgent

pl find a solution

its urgent

Quote Originally Posted by sridevidb
    pl find a solution

its urgent

sybase replication server will support MySQL in 2008 .. sorry.
    you may want to check if GoldenGate supports MySQL now from Sybase
    http://www.insession.com/products/pr...product_id=122

replication solution

Hi Sridevi,
    I would recommend you use sybase warm standby as it is very easy to set up. Would I be correct in assuming that you do not have much experience with sybase replication server. If that is the case then, it can be a bit tricky, but do not lose heart.

First, I would say use Sybase ASE all throuhg, this will keep things simple.
    then install Sybase Repserver (you would need a licence for this). I would say go for 12.6 verison of Rep server. (downloadable from sybase.com)

read the online installation instructions for rep server.

the replicate database would be an identical copy of the primary and any DML /DDL changes made to the primary will be applied to the replicate if you decide to set up warm standby.

setting up warm standby is straight forward, just one stored proc sp_reptostandby and it will be good to go. but you will need to set everything right for this to work fine.

suda

If you are on Windows, best to use SQL Server and use DTS to pull data out of Sybase using ODBC DSN and load into SQL.

If you have MSDN, SQL Server Dev license is free, and so is use of DTS. Sybase Rep Server is quite expensive if this isn't a serious prod environment.

Golden Gate is also quite steep in price, and is mostly a combination of trigger based solution. You are better off with Sybase Rep Server than Golden Gate.

if only want to replicate the changes, can dts be used?

sybase replication

hi folks

can any one suggest the version of sybase ase and replication server available freely for download and does it support replication from sybase ase 12.5 on solaris 2.7