Unanswered: updated to office 2003

we just updated to microsoft office 2003 from microsoft office 2000. Since updated, when i open a database which front end using Access that worked fine before updating. But now when i open the database front end after upadting to micoroft office 2003, I got message box :

Microsoft access
    security warning : unsafe expressins are not blocked.
    Do you want to block unsafe expression? Yes, no.

I have no idea about this. Can you help me? What i need to do?
    Many thanks.

Your solution appears to be here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...071331033.aspx

Thank you very much! I would like to make sure that i understand what they describe. I think we need to enable sandbox mode. When enable this, it won't show up any messagess later. So i have to enable the sandbox at first time. Are you all doing this same thing? I want to make sure it won't affect anthing about our database.

Thanks again!

about digital sign a project

Now I have a question, i set the marco security to medium. But when i open the database, it showed a message:

This file may not be safe if it contains code that was intended to harm your computer. Do you want to open this file or cancel the operation?

I check online help. I need to digital sign a project. I haven't done this before. I even don't know how to do it. If i do so, we have to buy digital certificate. As all these databases are used by our office users. We don't have any digital certificate. So i tried to set the marco security to low. It didn't show this message anymore. My question, if i set to low, it will affect or harm to our server or computer. All access databases are created by me. What do you think? As we have to update to Office 2003 soon. I want to make sure all the databases works fine. I am not sure whether Office 2003 will cause any other problem except access.

Many thanks.

You can self sign. Have a look at this link:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...ffice.10).aspx

Provided Answers: 59
    seems like yet another good reason not to use macros.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

> healdem
    > seems like yet another good reason not to use macros.

Well, this is the MS Office meaning of macro/macro security, which is VBA
    Roy-Vidar

the reference explicitly states that macros are treated differently to VBA, VBA is treated as managed code, macros aren't.

the error message refers to macros. so im guessing the perception is that the macros are easier to acquire from malevalent sources, or possibly that it is Microsoft's perception that people who use macros are less knowledgable or security concious than people writing VBA.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's preception is a little distorted as you can always convert Macros to Visual Basic which only propagates the issue to VB.

Having said that and whilst it is a pain in the posterior, dumping Macros does have some advantages. I will say that having gone through the process it is VB is more flexible and introduced me to With CodeContextObject. The second tip I picked up was remove all the VB from Forms and Reports and put these into Modules. I have works of art in and these appear in numerous Forms; with one piece of code and On DoubleClick a Dialog Box appears with the Image. Before it was Form sensitive requiring a Macro for each instance.

Whilst this does not mitigate the hassle, it did make me a little more disciplined. I not suggesting you change your methods now but it is worth considering henceforth.

Simon

Provided Answers: 10
    It never occurred to me that MS only blocked macros.

I don't understand why, because I don't think any "dangerous" commands are available in a macro...

VBA is so much easier to use when trying to be malicious.
    George
    Home | Blog

No, georgev, they are not blocking macros. There is nothing in neither of these warning messages relating to macros.

The first one is about the sandbox thingie (blocking so called "unsafe" expressions"). The second warning, is quite similar to the regular MS Office macro warning (VBA warning), except it pops up regardless of whether or not one has any macros or VBA in the file as long as one use medium security, and the source isn't listed as trusted source.

There are lots of reasons for not using macros, even though the wizards in the latest version creates macros in stead of code, but as far as I can see, none is mentioned in this thread.
    Roy-Vidar

Quote Originally Posted by RoyVidar
    .....No, georgev, they are not blocking macros. There is nothing in neither of these warning messages relating to macros......
    having reread the reference cited by bmacr and followed up on a reference within that http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...81033.aspx#020
    I still see no reference to this being a problem in VBA but it is a problem macros.. mebbe Im just a dinosaur that can really only take stuff in when I see it on paper... sometimes I just struggle to comprehend what is on the screen

the reference above includes "Note Sandbox mode does not affect Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) code that is in your files. Code that is digitally signed, even if it includes the blocked functions or properties, will run whether Access is in sandbox mode or not. Unsafe functions and properties are blocked only when used in expressions such as default values, control sources, or SQL statements."

Lets try another way, then.

Consider the last part of your quote with regards to the sandbox mode.
    "Unsafe functions and properties are blocked only when used in expressions such as default values, control sources, or SQL statements."
    This pretty much says were this sandbox thingie might pose a challenge, which, as far as I can see, is everywhere, expept within VBA, though, using VBA (calling a function) in some properties, or through the RunCode macro action might also be blocked under certain circumstances.

With regards to the last message, as said as long as the source of the file isn't listed as trusted source, and you're using medium security (and higher?), you will get this prompt, regardless of whether the db contains macros, code, both or neither. The message explicitly refers to code (which is what I initially, and perhaps wrongly, hinted at), but the message is warning the user about dangerous contents that might be either macro or VBA.

What makes this a specific macro problem?
    Roy-Vidar