Thread: annoying prompt

Unanswered: annoying prompt

I created a query with a sum on two field in a table. The query works fine but it prompts me before running the query. I know checked that I spelled everything correct but I'm still being prompt. Here's how I wrote the code in the query design:

Code:
    SumofVolume: Sum([Volume])  SumofHrs: Sum([Call Hrs])
    When I run the query I get prompted for "SumofVolume" and "SumofHrs". The fields name in the table are "Volume" and "Call Hrs". Sum is in the totals field. Why am I getting prompt?

Could we see the whole SQL statement? That would really help so we don't have to guess a bunch of things.
    Thanks,

Ok. When I get back tomorrow.
    Thanks

Ok. Here's the code:
    Code:
    SELECT tblEmployee.Tech, tblTeam.TeamName, Sum(tblCalls.Volume) AS SumofVolume, Sum(tblCalls.[Call Hours]) AS SumofHrs, [SumofVolume]/[SumofHrs] AS AvgTotalHrs
    FROM (tblTeam INNER JOIN tblEmployee ON tblTeam.IDX_TeamID = tblEmployee.IDX_TeamID) INNER JOIN tblCalls ON tblEmployee.IDX_EmplID = tblCalls.IDX_EmplID
    GROUP BY tblEmployee.Tech, tblTeam.TeamName, [SumofVolume]/[SumofHrs];
    I went through query design to try to find which part of the code may be failing and all the code works and I don't get the prompt until I add the code to get an avg.
    Code:
    [SumofVolume]/[SumofHrs] AS AvgTotalHrs
    This is when I get the prompt for "sumofvolume" and "sumofhrs".
    thanks

The problem is with using the field name aliases in another expression.
    Access can't handle that. Use the expression:
    Sum(tblCalls.Volume) /Sum(tblCalls.[Call Hours])

And take ", [SumofVolume]/[SumofHrs]" out of the group by statetment
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Slimjen
    I'm thinking that you need to put AvgTotalHrs in the Group By statement rather than "[SumofVolume]/[SumofHrs]" as you have now. I have used aliases defined in queries before to perform further calculations the way you are doing it here and it has worked.

What I don't understand is why do you want to group on the average calculation? If what you want is for the results to be sorted by the average calculation, you could do that in the report. That's assuming you are doing all this to feed a report.

thanks to your suggestions; I got it to work.

Could you please post how you got it to work. There were several suggestions and the next person coming along with this same type of question would really like to know what was the answer.
    Thanks,