Unanswered: need help on Stored Procedure using XML related functions

Hi all,

I came across the below SQLServer stored procedure, I understand that it manipulates some XML data, but am not sure what it does.. Could any one pls explain me on the below procedure,

Also, i do not see 'values' clause in the insert statement in the below procedure, is it valid to use in this way? (as per the syntax, 'values' clause is NOT optional)

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[OM_addObjData] 
        @xml_Doc_sample varchar(max),
    	@objID int
    	--set @xml_Doc_sample = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><ArrayOfEXEData xmlns:xsi="" xmlns:xsd=""><EXEData><EXEName>exeName</EXEName><EXECommand>exeCommand</EXECommand></EXEData></ArrayOfEXEData>'
    	declare @docIdx int
    	EXECUTE sp_xml_preparedocument @docIdx OUTPUT, @xml_Doc_sample
    		insert into OM_EXE
    		select @objID, exeName, exeCommand, IdEXE, EXE
    		From OPENXML(@docIdx, N'/ArrayOfEXEData/EXEData', 2) With OM_EXE
    	EXECUTE sp_xml_removedocument @docIdx 

Thanks in Advance,
    Shefali Mihir
    Last edited by Shefu; 04-20-07 at 01:03.

Nevada, USA
    Provided Answers: 6
    I'm not up on xml, so I'll leave that for someone else, but I can confirm that the SELECT clause is perfectly valid. You can insert 1 record with a VALUES clause, 1 or more with a SELECT clause (however many are returned by it).

It's perfercly legal to specify a select statement with INSERT instead of VALUES.

This sproc transforms the values of EXEName and EXECommand elements (if table OM_EXE contains column named EXEName and EXECommand) for each EXEData elements into individual rows, and inserts them into the OM_EXE table.