Unanswered: need help on Stored Procedure using XML related functions

Hi all,

I came across the below SQLServer stored procedure, I understand that it manipulates some XML data, but am not sure what it does.. Could any one pls explain me on the below procedure,

Also, i do not see 'values' clause in the insert statement in the below procedure, is it valid to use in this way? (as per the syntax, 'values' clause is NOT optional)

Code:
    CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[OM_addObjData] 
        @xml_Doc_sample varchar(max),
    	@objID int

AS
    BEGIN

--set @xml_Doc_sample = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><ArrayOfEXEData xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><EXEData><EXEName>exeName</EXEName><EXECommand>exeCommand</EXECommand></EXEData></ArrayOfEXEData>'

declare @docIdx int
    	EXECUTE sp_xml_preparedocument @docIdx OUTPUT, @xml_Doc_sample

insert into OM_EXE
    		select @objID, exeName, exeCommand, IdEXE, EXE
    		From OPENXML(@docIdx, N'/ArrayOfEXEData/EXEData', 2) With OM_EXE

EXECUTE sp_xml_removedocument @docIdx 

END

Thanks in Advance,
    Shefali Mihir
    Last edited by Shefu; 04-20-07 at 02:03.

Provided Answers: 6
    I'm not up on xml, so I'll leave that for someone else, but I can confirm that the SELECT clause is perfectly valid. You can insert 1 record with a VALUES clause, 1 or more with a SELECT clause (however many are returned by it).
    Paul

It's perfercly legal to specify a select statement with INSERT instead of VALUES.

This sproc transforms the values of EXEName and EXECommand elements (if table OM_EXE contains column named EXEName and EXECommand) for each EXEData elements into individual rows, and inserts them into the OM_EXE table.