Thread: Newbie Question

Unanswered: Newbie Question

Hello all...I have a question about ASP and VBScript. I have an ASP page that has some VBScript in it. There is a field on the form called frmreports.reportstring and there is a value assoicated with it. I m trying for that value in my server asp code to run a stored procedure. Is there a way to do it because as soon as there is a <% the variable goes blank and I cant seem to be able to move anything beyond <%.

Please help!!

let me show you the code...right after the first line is where I m trying to get the value for frmReports.reportString.value but as soon as I put the <% I cant get anything.
    Code:
           window.open(frmReports.reportString.value & bu & "&beginDate=" & frmReports.txtBeginDate.value & "&endDate=" & frmReports.txtEndDate.value & "&singleDate=" & frmReports.txtSingleDate.value & "&weekDate=" & frmReports.txtSingleDate.value & "&week=" & week)	
    <%

dim reportString
    	dim strQueryString
    	dim strQueryString1
    	dim strURL
    	dim reportid1
    	dim reportid2

reportString = frmReports.reportString.value
    	strQueryString = Instr(reportString,"rnum=") '25
    	reportid1 = mid(reportString,strQueryString+5,3) 

msgbox frmReports.reportString.value, 48, "Show me the reportid1"	
    	msgbox reportString, 48, "show me reportstring"
    	msgbox strQueryString, 48, "Show me StrQueryString"
    	msgbox reportid1, 48, "show me reportid"

'dim strQueryString
    	'dim strQueryString1
    	'dim strURL
    	'dim reportid1
    	'dim reportid2

'strURL = frmReports.reportString.value
    	'strQueryString = mid(strURL, Instr(1, strURL,"rnum")+3)
    	'strQueryString = Instr(strURL,"rnum=") '25
    	'strQueryString1 = Instr(strURL,"&db") '27
    	'reportid1 = mid(strURL,strQueryString+5,3) 
    	'reportid2 = CInt(reportid1)
    	'document.write(reportid1)
    	'window.open(document.write(reportid1))

'	ReportID1=rs(ReportID)

dim cmdform

set cmdform=CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
    			with cmdform
    				.ActiveConnection=mainconnection
    				.Commandtype=4
    				.CommandText="SP_REPORT_INCREMENT"
    				.parameters.append .createparameter("@ReportID",200,1,5,reportid1)
    				.parameters.append .createparameter("@strURL",200,1,80,reportString)
    				.parameters.append .createparameter("@strQueryString",200,1,80,strQueryString)
    				.parameters.append .createparameter("@strQueryString1",200,1,80,strQueryString1)
    				.Execute ,,128
    			End with
    			Set cmdform=nothing
    	%>

Provided Answers: 10
    Take a look at request.form and request.querystring at www.w3schools.com
    George
    Home | Blog

I did use Request.QueryString but it didnt return anyhting for some reason....I will try and see if Request.Form does anything...Thanks

Code:
    window.open(frmReports.reportString.value & bu & "&beginDate=" & frmReports.txtBeginDate.value & "&endDate=" & frmReports.txtEndDate.value & "&singleDate=" & frmReports.txtSingleDate.value & "&weekDate=" & frmReports.txtSingleDate.value & "&week=" & week)
    What does this line do exactly?
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    Code:
    What does this line do exactly?
    This is the line that opens the report and that is where I m trying to increment 1 everytime a report is run since we are using a table in SQL Server 2000 for Reports and each report has its reportid. frmReports.ReportString.value is being populate with the values up in the script with all the variables that I want to use....another thing I want to mention is since the report id is no where on the form how am I suppose to use Request.Form?

That was going to be my followup - I realised that you probably wern't using a form collection for this, so the request.form wouldn't work.

I have never used a window.open command, so could you explain what all the "junk" between the parens is?
    George
    Home | Blog

That was going to be my followup - I realised that you probably wern't using a form collection for this, so the request.form wouldn't work.

I have never used a window.open command, so could you explain what all the "junk" between the parens is?

frmreports.reportString.Value is being populated with:

response.write("frmReports.reportString.value=""" & rs("strReportURL") & "&tButton="& rs("strtButton") & "&rFile1="& rs("ReportGroup") & "&rnum=" & rs("ReportID") & """" & vbcrlf)

and reportID is what I m looking for in there but since there are quite a few scripts between here and where the frmReports.reportString.value is populated scope of the variable has been expired.

then there are some dates that are being entered on the form itself. There are some single dates that are only for the week and then there are dates that have start and end date. That is whats in the window open command....

frmReports.reportString.value Variable that has all the values I m looking for....
    bu = business unit
    beginDate=" & frmReports.txtBeginDate.value ---beginning date from the form
    & "&endDate=" & frmReports.txtEndDate.value & ---end date from the form
    "&singleDate=" & frmReports.txtSingleDate.value ---one date only from the form if the report is for a running week
    & "&weekDate=" & frmReports.txtSingleDate.value & "&week=" & week --week based if there is only one date
    Last edited by us1415; 04-23-07 at 09:07.

and reportID is what I m looking for in there but since there are quite a few scripts between here and where the frmReports.reportString.value is populated scope of the variable has been expired.
    So would it be worth creating another variable earlier on and store the value in there? I'm assuming that you are closing the recordset which is why you cannot pick up the required value.
    Code:
    Dim SomeVariable
    <open RS>
    SomeVariable = RS("ReportID")
    In theory, you should not be assigning all the values you need from the RS into variables so you can close the RS asap.
    George
    Home | Blog

So would it be worth creating another variable earlier on and store the value in there? I'm assuming that you are closing the recordset which is why you cannot pick up the required value.
    Code:
    Dim SomeVariable
    <open RS>
    SomeVariable = RS("ReportID")
    In theory, you should not be assigning all the values you need from the RS into variables so you can close the RS asap.
    That is true...would it close the RS even if I have some code that is closing the RS or should I remove the closing of RS from there altogether?

I don't think I follow.
    Here's what I would be doing
    Code:
    <open RS>
    varBeginDate = RS("beginDate")
    varReportID = RS("ReportID")
    <close RS>
    window.open( ... )
    George
    Home | Blog

I found a way around it...I m doing another window.open and pasrsing the variabe to another program that does the increment...Thanks for the suggestions though.....