Unanswered: Career in Oracle Database Administration

Guys,

As Oracle database administrators and as fellow IT comrades, can you give me an idea of what skill/s should I need to be marketable? I plan to be an IT manager of some sort in the future. Do you guys think that I should undergo BI first?

Do I need PL/SQL? Is it really a requirement for such an idea?

the reason why am asking is because, here in our country, the database administrator should almost know everything (including oracle forms, scripting etc etc) but the problem is, I don't know where to get resources on those stuffs. Where you faced with certain questions before you became what you are right now?

Honestly, I am a neophyte in DBA field but I am taking OCA for 9i as of the moment. Do you guys think that I can handle 10g even though I only have 9i as part of my basic knowledge?

Sorry for my english but I really appreciate your inputs.
    Thanks

Talking

What country?
    Today every company wants to hire "supermen" that know (or so they say) almost everything.
    Just check out the job requirements on any job site and you will find out the outrageous skills these companies want you to have.

Good luck!

PS: Focus on 10g
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA

What country?
    Today every company wants to hire "supermen" that know (or so they say) almost everything.
    Just check out the job requirements on any job site and you will find out the outrageous skills these companies want you to have.

Good luck!

hi LKBrwn_DBA,

What country? Philippines. How about you? where are you based from?
    10g? oh my that means, i have to take an upgrade to 10g am I right?

regards,

arch

You learn 10g. (I is slated for desupport next year anyway)
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Quote Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA

What country?

Good luck!

No kidding. It is nuts what some of these places want and then they want to pay nothing too. There is a position in the Tampa area that every head hunter is trying to fill but nobody wants it. It involves Oracle and SQL Server work, 24/7 on call, driving all over the place, Certification in both DB's, other high end stuff. Know what the salary is? 64k or so! Yeah right. If I had certs in both I wouldn't wipe my butt with that kind of money.

today i stumbled upon a "dba quiz" so i took it, even though they required your name, address, company, and email before they'd let you try the quiz

i got almost all the answers wrong (there were only one or two sql questions, and i simply had to guess at the rest)

the quiz appears to be intended strictly for oracle dbas, because half the terminology i had never even heard of before (i would at least recognize more of them if there had been any microsoft sqlserver terms sprinkled in there)

if you want to try it, it's at dbaquiz dot com

archmage, you do not want to be a dba if your goal is management, but pl/sql would be a good idea

dba-one, certs for both would easily get you triple that salary
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

beilstwh - are you serious with that? my god, am on 9i courses right now. they're going to face out 9i? what will happen to version 8s? there are still 8s out there right?

DBA-ONE
    to be frank sir, I'd even take that offer, 64k USD? for us, you have to multiply it with 50 to get that peso value

r937

>archmage, you do not want to be a dba if your goal is management, but pl/sql would be a good idea
    ah ok, I have this notion that in order to be a manager of some sort, I can pass by BI but before that, I have to know database management so that I would know what's happening in and out. Do you think its a nice pathway?

BI = business intelligence? like, OLAP? data analysis?

if you have to choose, skip the database management but don't skip the BI
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

As a developer who's main platform is Oracle I have to say that PL/SQL is huge for the DBA. I can't even begin to explain the frustration a developer has with a DBA who doesn't have the skills in the PL/SQL Language.

In my line of work the DBA is the all powerful and the developer is quite restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by archmage
    beilstwh - are you serious with that? my god, am on 9i courses right now. they're going to face out 9i? what will happen to version 8s? there are still 8s out there right?
    Oracle 9.2.0.8 is the terminal release of Oracle9i. The projected de-support date for Oracle 9.2 is July 31, 2008. If I was in class today, I would be concentrating on 10G. Of course, I have heard rumors that Oracle is already working on Oracle 11
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Learn what you would enjoy doing. I have been a SQL Server DBA for 6 years, and I am currently studying for the 10g OCA. I enjoy performance tuning, DR/ high availability stuff, security, DB design, etc. I do not enjoy working every day with end users (it happens at times of course), working on reports for end users, making things pretty for end users, etc. Therefore, BI would be bad for me, but real DBA stuff (PL\SQL included) would be good. I've taken a crack at reporting/ BI stuff and hated it. I was miserable at the end of every day. Learn what you would most enjoy. If you hate something you will not be good at it.

hi guys,

sorry for the late reply, I was preparing for my exam.

beilstwh: yeah, If i am not mistaken, I also saw it at their website

cfr: couldn't agree more to what you've said. The reason why some are unhappy because they we're just forced to do their work. If I liked my work, I'd polish every move with extra care, but as starters, I think I have to test the waters first.