Thread: some doubts

Unanswered: some doubts

hi all,

Please find below my queries, and help me to understand things..

1. How to find the port number of a specific SQLServer instance?(I have heard that the different instance of the SQLServer runs in different port number)
    2. How to create a new instance for an existing SQLServer database? and how would i connect to it with my JDBC Connection string which usually reads as,

jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://<Host_Name>:<Port_Number>/<DataBase_Name>

Thanks in advance
    Shefu
    Last edited by Shefu; 04-24-07 at 04:49.

1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/265808

2. You run the setup program to do a new installation of SQL Server. Each instance is a separate installation. I wonder though if you really need another instance, or just another database, which can be created with the "create database" statement.
    Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - MSSQL.no - Facebook - Twitter

I ve one more query,

Let there be different Instances(ie., more than one instance) in a MSSQL installation, then, were those instances runs on different port numbers other than MSSQL's default port number 1433 or they share the same port number as MSSQL?

kindly help me to understand things better.

Thanks again,
    Sn

They would run on whatever port you set during the installation. The default is 1433, and if you don't change it, they would run on the same port. If you are going to be tracking the bandwidth each instance uses, then you will want to split them.

Usually people only create second instances on the same server if they are building or installing a database that has a different collation method than the original or if they need the instance to have a specific name. Some software packages will require this.
    "An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly understood; an inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." ~G.K. Chesterton

Well, thanks for the reply,.. if the different instance of MSSQL runs on the different port numbers , is there any way to access the port number of each instance.

Thanks,
    Sn

Yes, use the SQL Server Client Network Utility to configure an alias for each SQL connection with the port number specified instead of choosing the default. Keep in mind, you would have to do this for each client that connects to what you are programming and I do not recommend it. It's better to just create a new database on the same instance, or install a new instance on a new machine. Microsoft does not recommend running two instances of SQL server on the same box.

In short, it can be done... but it shouldn't be done.
    "An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly understood; an inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." ~G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by msmeland
    Usually people only create second instances on the same server if they are building or installing a database that has a different collation method than the original (...)
    Cool. This was new to me. Why not use CREATE DATABASE ... COLLATE instead? Much better approach.

Quote Originally Posted by msmeland
    Microsoft does not recommend running two instances of SQL server on the same box.

In short, it can be done... but it shouldn't be done.
    I agree, and let me quote RFC 2119:
    SHOULD NOT
    This phrase, or the phrase "NOT RECOMMENDED" mean that there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances when the particular behavior is acceptable or even useful, but the full implications should be understood and the case carefully weighed before implementing any behavior described with this label.