Unanswered: Connections and process question

Greetings,

Our application is written in such a way that it makes more connections that anyone would like to the database. This is one thing but it is also spawning too many processes as well. We have a client who just went to a new version of our software and now they are constantly getting maximum number of process exceeded. Their DBA group has bumped things up as high as they are willing to go. My question is does each connection spawn more that one process? I'm not really clear on this stuff.

Yes, each connection can have many processes. I had a single parallel operation that led Oracle to spawn 128 slave processes. These are easily identified on Unix using a grep command, but on Windows they are threads and much harder to inspect from the operating system level. Take a look at your init.ora parameters for parallel stuff, and if you are using Oracle Text or Streams there are separate parameters within packages to look at.

It could also be true that the application is not closing connections and you need to implement dead connection detection (i.e., set sqlnet.ora parameter sqlnet.expire_time=10 on the db server and app server). For example, in many web applications the user closes the browser without clicking on the button to log off the database, so their connection remains memory until cleaned up by pmon or you bouce the instance.

Quote Originally Posted by remidata
    It could also be true that the application is not closing connections and you need to implement dead connection detection (i.e., set sqlnet.ora parameter sqlnet.expire_time=10 on the db server and app server). For example, in many web applications the user closes the browser without clicking on the button to log off the database, so their connection remains memory until cleaned up by pmon or you bouce the instance.
    This is something I was just thinking about. Connection are not getting closed properly. I've been running some test to see how long they hang out there. The program does do explicit close but they still show on the server. From reading it would seem Oracle keeps them open in case they will be reused soon but it doesn't look like that even happens. Is that value 10 in your suggestion seconds or milliseconds?