Question Unanswered: z/OS DB2 v8 to AIX DB2 v7 connection

I'm at a client running an application in AIX DB2 v7. I have a requirement to pull data from the AIX DB into a COBOL program running on the mainframe. There is a z/OS DB2 DB running at v8 on the mainframe. I thought that we could use DDF to define the AIX DB2 DB as a remote location to the z/OS DB2 DB. I've been told that the z/OS DB can't use DDF to connect to the AIX DB since the AIX version is older than the z/OS version. I don't know a lot about DDF, but it seems to me that this is a DB2 to DB2 connection and should be possible. I reviewed posts in this forum and searched IBM's website, but can't find anything that states definitively one way or the other whether this is possible or not. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I don't know whether this works or not -- never tried it.
    But maybe you could set up things the other way around?
    One can certainly connect from DB2 v7 on AIX to DB2 v8 on z/OS.
    If you make (part of) the COBOL program a stored procedure, you could push data from an AIX application to that COBOL program by using a CALL to the stored proc.
    --_Peter Vanroose,
    __IBM Certified Database Administrator, DB2 9 for z/OS
    __IBM Certified Application Developer
    __ABIS Training and Consulting
    __http://www.abis.be/

Thanks for the reply. Even with a stored proc, I'd still need a connection from the COBOL pgm running on the mainframe to the AIX DB. The only place I can think of that would be able to connect to both the COBOL pgm on the mainframe and the AIX DB would be the z/OS DB.