Unanswered: PHP header(content-disposition...) Help

Hi everyone..

I seem to be having a strange issue.. This piece of code works great in my test server.. However, when I moved it out to my production server it does not like how I added the PHP var on the filename... Does anyone know why?

PHP Code:
    $strDate $_REQUEST["date"];

header("Content-Type: application/vnd.ms-excel");

header("Expires: 0");

header("Cache-Control: must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0");

header("content-disposition: attachment;filename=filename_$strDate.xls"); 
    Thanks

Because you are using "" (double quotes) PHP thinks that filename=filename_$strDate.xls should be written out as just that. Also the . (dot) that appears in the code will probably be misinterpreted too. Is it part of the variable or not, and should it concatenate $strDate with xls (thus giving e.g. 2007-01-02xls [NOTICE THE MISSING DOT?]) ? What you need to do is replace it with the variable correctly.

so

Code:
    header("content-disposition: attachment;filename=filename_{$strDate}.xls");
    I expect you'll probably find that the versions you are using between testing and production as different...

Oops better correct myself here. '' (single inverted commas) actually causes '$variables' to be written out as $variables

Define - "it does not like how I added the PHP var on the filename" What exactly is it doing?

We only see the information that you provide and telling us accurate and descriptive information about what exactly the symptoms are is necessary for anyone to offer anything more than guesses about what the problem is.

Indeed an error message might help us a little bit.

Also, please test this and let us know what result you get :

Code:
    $strDate = $_REQUEST["date"]; 
    echo "content-disposition: attachment;filename=filename_$strDate.xls"

Sorry, I should of been more specific.. It does not give me an error, instead it names the file the name of the .php file instead of the name i created..
    I will test the

PHP Code:
    echo 
    "content-disposition: attachment;filename=filename_$strDate.xls" 
    and let you know.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by mattv10
    Sorry, I should of been more specific.. It does not give me an error, instead it names the file the name of the .php file instead of the name i created..
    I will test the

PHP Code:
    echo 
    and let you know.

Thanks
    ..in that case Id try specifically casting the variable
    PHP Code:
    echo 
    "content-disposition: attachment;filename=filename_".$strDate.xls
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Upon further review of the syntax, it is not correct. Example from the PHP manual -
    PHP Code:
    header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="downloaded.pdf"'); 
    You need quotes around the filename portion as well as around the whole header parameter.

The following should work -
    PHP Code:
    header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename='filename_{$strDate}.xls'"); 

Healdem : Just to quickly clarify something you did in your example :

Code:
    echo "content-disposition: attachment;filename=filename_".$strDate.xls;
    the last part of that will not work as expected. PHP will attempt to interpret .xls as the concatenation of a constant called xls. Of course, that constant doesn't exist so I would expect php to throw an error or best guess it (probably make it null or '' or 0) and thus concatenate that to the end.

The correct way would have been :
    Code:
    echo "content-disposition: attachment;filename=filename_".$strDate.".xls";
    However we now know that dbmab's answer is correct.

Edit : Ran healdem's code through a PHP compiler and it actually inteprets it as a string constant 'xls'. It does throw an error : Use of undefined constant xls - assumed 'xls'.
    Just so no-one else makes this mistake, never assume that it will get intepreted as the string 'xls'...
    Last edited by aschk; 04-26-07 at 09:42.

Upon testing dbmab's answer it still did not work... However, I think I found out why... I used aschk suggestion and did this:

PHP Code:
    echo 
    This was my output:
    filename_4/12/2007.xls... Obviously that is why its not printing correctly.. For some strange reason on my test server it converts the /'s to _'s i don't know why or how... This is where I need some assistance.. Should I just pass the date through my URL using 4_12_2007 rather than 4/12/2007? Or is there an alternative method?

Thanks,

Well I solved the issue... Finally! Thanks for all your help everyone. Here is what I did..
    PHP Code:
                    $sDate $_REQUEST["date"];

$strDate=str_replace('/'"_"$sDate);

header("Content-Type: application/vnd.ms-excel");

header("Expires: 0");

header('Cache-Control: must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0');

header("Content-Disposition: attachment;filename=filename_{$strDate}.xls"); 
    Last edited by mattv10; 04-26-07 at 14:31.

How you choose to pass the date data is entirely up to yourself of course.
    Are you taking that from an input box? i.e.
    type in 14/02/2004 to get the filename with that on the end?
    Or are you automagically outputting links to each file name that people can click on?

If you are doing the former then you have no real option other than to convert the data into the correct "_" format when you pass the request on.

If however you are doing the latter then it's very much a case of efficiency versus practicality. For example :
    each time you write out the page do you want to convert the dates into their underscore versions?
    or
    do you want to parse the dates that get requested each time someone actually clicks the file.

The more efficienct from a system load point of view is the latter of those examples. You only process the str_replace for the filename selected, whereas the former example means each time you view the page you have to perform the str_replace on output for every filename (even if they won't be clicked on).

It's very much up to you and how your data is received.

Provided Answers: 59
    so why not reformat the date to say YYYYMMDD using the appropriate date mask. Id suggest the YYYYMMDD mask so that the file names sorts in ascending date order (yes I know most users are able to sort in date order... but)

Id guess that your test server has magic quotes switched on, whereas the live server may have it turned off. Ie the / character is being escaped
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton