Thread: Select Queries

Question Unanswered: Select Queries

Gang
    Is there a way to set a select query where a field or certain fields on the query are formatted to lock the information on that field so it cannot be changed, but let other fields be changeable?

Provided Answers: 10
    Hmm, how are you displaying this query? Subform, etc?
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 1
    What (I believe) Goergev is driving at is you should be presenting this data to your user in a form. Within the form, you have much greater control about what can and cannot be modified by your user. Plus it's just general good practice to never expose raw tables to your end users.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

This is true, I understand not exposing data in the raw format to a user, but unfortunatly that is what I had to do recently to solve a problem.

So, with all of your great advise, what would be a great way to show several records all at once on a form as you suggest so the user could peer over the data and make necessary changes (in this instance to a shipping schedule) as needed? I have seen forms that appear to be showing a table view in them but don't have any to use as an example for me to build off of. The user of the program doesn't want to have to scroll thru the records one at a time, but to view them in mass.

(I'm sure there is an easy way to do this, but MS help isn't getting me anywhere)

Provided Answers: 10
    I suggesat you take a peek at using subforms...
    And yes Teddy, that's what I was getting at
    George
    Home | Blog

Thanks, I'll try to get some info on using that approach!

Provided Answers: 1
    Otherwise a continuous form will do the trick for you. I believe you can also lock fields when displaying the form in datasheet mode, but I haven't tried that personally.

I've done the continuous form/subform route with fields packed tightly together so it has that familiar "spreadsheet" feel to it without sacrificing my deathgrip on the UI.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***