Thread: Progrees BAR

Unanswered: Progrees BAR

How to make progrees Bar?

Provided Answers: 59
    lots of ways
    the easy way... use the progress bar control (have a look at teh 'more controls' icon and see if you have access to the 'microsoft progress bar control')

failing that think out of the box and write one yourself
    'all' you need is a bit of space on the form, a few tick markers to indicate the realtive %'ge complete, a solid rectangle and resize the required dimension to show the desired state.

progress bars work fine if you are iterating through a recordset, they are not very useful when used to indicate some processes such as executing a query. you only have a limited amount of control as to when the control will update... remember to use do events to allow the screen to refresh, otherwise the control may not refresh, also dont set the progress bar to often as it can slow down the app considerably.

HTH
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 10
    This thread might be worth a read!

I had a similar question in the past, and after lots of hard work and complex coding, I figured this out...

It's not worth it. Why not just use docmd.hourglass instead?

If you can justify a reason other than - "it's a pretty addition to my Db", then I say: don't bother
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 59
    I think a lot depends on how long the process is, how likely it is to fail. Its not unkown for VB/VBA/ Acess to hang with the purdy little hourglass whirrign away to its hearts content but the app is frozen. Someitmes an app can break with the hourglass cursor, unless the code resets the cursor its possible that later invocations of the same app use that rather than the default cursor.

its horses for courses. Id agree if the sole reason is to look real purdy (where is Joanna Lumley when you want her) then dont do it. if there is a risk that your users will think the app has died then some form of feed back is required. personally Ive always thought that in the JET world where its harder to get a number of records progress bars are of little value. if you can do a simple count without clogging the network fine...... otherwise just a simple message saying nnnn records processed as at HH:MM:YYYY shyould be enough to tell your users the process is quite happy.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

If you are opening the recordset and looping through the records, the progress bar example which is based on the percentage of records looped through works very nice. Otherwise, you have to use the form's timer event and I never had much luck with this and a progress bar (others might have had better luck).

I have yet to find a progress bar which works like the one built into installation applications such as Installshield (we always joke about the Microsoft progress bar which jumps from 23 minutes to 1 minute and then up to 40 minutes). If anyone knows of an easy to program progress bar like that in Installshield, please post it.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)