Unanswered: Cant open my DB.

According to this doc: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...ments_1004.htm

I should be able to open the DB when it is in a mount state by using "alter database open". So I put the DB in a mount state, tried to get into ISQLPlus, and get "ora-01033" Oracle initialization or shutdown in progress." I looked up the error message and it says just to wait for a few minutes and then try again, but that doesnt seemt to be working.

Any ideas?

TIA, cfr

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >So I put the DB in a mount state, tried to get into ISQLPlus
    IMO, the statement above is a total contradiction.
    Why do you insist "describing" what you think is happening, rather than providing actual CUT & PASTE of what you did & how Oracle responded?

How could you "put the DB in a mount state", if you were not already connected to the database?
    Why do you need to connect via isqlplus?

Code:
    $ sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on Sun Apr 29 16:28:26 2007

Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: / as sysdba

Connected to:
    Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production
    With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> shutdown immediate
    Database closed.
    Database dismounted.
    ORACLE instance shut down.
    SQL> startup mount
    ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area  188743680 bytes
    Fixed Size                   778036 bytes
    Variable Size             162537676 bytes
    Database Buffers           25165824 bytes
    Redo Buffers                 262144 bytes
    Database mounted.
    SQL> alter database open;

Database altered.

SQL> exit
    Disconnected from Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production
    With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options
    So once again, it works (for me) if you do it right.
    I have no idea what you really did or did not do, but I do know you did not do it correctly (again/still)!
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

isqlplus has two different URL. One for normal connections and one for AS SYSDBA connections. If you opened the URL for normal users then it tests Oracle to see if it is opened, and obviously it is not so you got the error. Try connecting isqlplus to the sysdba URL. If you don't recall the URL look in $ORACLE_HOME/install/portlist.ini. It is something like http://yourhost:5560/isqlplus/dba
    -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by anacedent
    >So I put the DB in a mount state, tried to get into ISQLPlus
    IMO, the statement above is a total contradiction.
    Why do you insist "describing" what you think is happening, rather than providing actual CUT & PASTE of what you did & how Oracle responded?

How could you "put the DB in a mount state", if you were not already connected to the database?......

I have no idea what you really did or did not do, but I do know you did not do it correctly (again/still)!
    I think my not doing something correctly is fairly obvious. After all, I probably wouldn't have written this post had I done it right. Anyways, I was connected to the DB, then I put in a mount state, then I couldn't use ISQLPlus to connect. The issue has since been reolved, but I just thought I'd clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by remidata
    isqlplus has two different URL. One for normal connections and one for AS SYSDBA connections. If you opened the URL for normal users then it tests Oracle to see if it is opened, and obviously it is not so you got the error. Try connecting isqlplus to the sysdba URL. If you don't recall the URL look in $ORACLE_HOME/install/portlist.ini. It is something like http://yourhost:5560/isqlplus/dba
    -Mark
    Thanks, I do appreciate!