Unanswered: Urgent Backup Problem - Please Help

I have got a recent backup problem that just does not make sense. The system is able to perform hourly backups of my transaction logs fine but my daily backups of the entire database which occurs every night now fails. I tried recreating my daily backup job all over again from scratch and the job still fails.
    When I perform a manual backup of the database however the system works fine.

nobody can help you unless you at least tell us what the error msg was...

The only messages in the event logs is a log of the failed job. This problem really has me stumped.

do you get an error if you run the job "by hand"?

what if you copy/paste the tsql for the job step and run that by hand?

I just found out that the system is successful with the backups. The problem is that the system is unable to delete old backup files that are older than 5 days. I tried deleting the old backup file through windows explorer, a batch file, a .vbs file and I still cannot manage to delete the old backup file. It looks like the file is being locked by SQL Server for some reason. Does anyone know how to remove the hold that SQL Server has on this file without restarting the server?

Quote Originally Posted by dsmbwoy
    I just found out that the system is successful with the backups. The problem is that the system is unable to delete old backup files that are older than 5 days. I tried deleting the old backup file through windows explorer, a batch file, a .vbs file and I still cannot manage to delete the old backup file. It looks like the file is being locked by SQL Server for some reason. Does anyone know how to remove the hold that SQL Server has on this file without restarting the server?
    What version of SQL Server?

What OS?

Patches for both?

As for a remedy, I would try stopping SQL Agent first. Only if that doesn't work would I try stopping SQL Server.

Also, if you want to see what process is holding the file, you could try downloading tools from sysinternals (they've been bought by M$ now, but I think you can still reach the site by using www.sysinternals.com).

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Thanks for the help everyone but I got desperate and had to restart the server.

I didn't get a chance to try restarting the SQL Agent but that definitely sounds like something that I should have tried. I installed all pending updates on the server (Windows 2003 Server), rebooted the system and the problem went away.

Thanks again for the help guys.