Unanswered: Why need IIS for Setuping SQL Server 2005(Enterprise Edition) ?

Hello ,everyone.

I have tried to setup SQL Server 2005(Enterprise Edition) in my computer with the operation system of Windows XP(Home Edition). But I failed. It was shown that IIS is a necessary component.Why need IIS for Setuping SQL Server 2005(Enterprise Edition) ?

Thanks in advance!

Provided Answers: 11
    It is required, if you want to install Reporting Services. I do not believe that XP even supports database services.

Thank you, MCrowley.

I only want to setup SQL server in the computer. I do not want to setup Reporting Services. What does Microsoft SQL Server 2005 need IIS to do?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jp7234
    Thank you, MCrowley.

I only want to setup SQL server in the computer. I do not want to setup Reporting Services. What does Microsoft SQL Server 2005 need IIS to do?

Thanks
    Like he said, IIS is for if you want to install Reporting services. Are you scripting the installation or doing it manually?

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley
    It is required, if you want to install Reporting Services. I do not believe that XP even supports database services.
    Edit: Whoops, I just re-read the thread title. Win XP will NOT support installation of SQL 2005 Enterprise (at least, I'm pretty sure it won't). You need either SQL 2005 Express (free) or SQL 2005 Developer (~ $50).
    XP Pro does (I've got it installed on mine now). However, I'm not positive about XP Home. It should at least support SQL 2005 Express.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Thank you for your help.
    I am in Japan. I want to install SQL Server 2005(Enterprise Edition) in my computer with Windows XP(Home Edition). I only want to install SQL Server to create database server. I have tried to install it according to installing wizard step by step. But I failed. What does Microsoft SQL Server 2005 need IIS to do?

Quote Originally Posted by jp7234
    Thank you for your help.
    I am in Japan. I want to install SQL Server 2005(Enterprise Edition) in my computer with Windows XP(Home Edition). I only want to install SQL Server to create database server. I have tried to install it according to installing wizard step by step. But I failed. What does Microsoft SQL Server 2005 need IIS to do?
    Justr in case you missed hmscott's edit - you cannot install SQL Server Enterprise on XP home or pro. This is irrespective of any error messages you are getting about IIS:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinf...s/default.mspx

I am not certain on the licensing but I think the price for developer edition is if you already have a bona fina license for a server version of sql server.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.