Unanswered: Access will not open file

I created a Data Base with MS Access 2002 using my workstation (laptop) and saving it accross the network on the server. When I try to open this file from my workstation on which it was created, i get an"Open File - Security Warnig" listing publisher: unknown publisher. If I go ahead and click open I get a MS Access box stating "Microsoft Access cannot open this file. This file is located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site. MS Access will not open the file due to potential security problems... copy it to your machine..

Turning off my firewall doesn't solve the problem. I can open the file off the server from another work station (Access 97 - I saved a copy as 97). All of the files I work with using Excel, Word, Paradox, etc are located on the server and there have never been any issues with opening them. With my current work station I have never created or tried to open a MS Access file on the server. I could do so with my previous work station. My work station OS: MS Windows XP professonal Version2002 SP 2. Any ideas? Thanks. Kelly

A couple of thoughts-

Look at the properties of the database from Windows Explorer. I once had this same type of thing, except it was on my own computer! There was a check box at the bottom of the properties window that when uncheck allowed me access to my database. Next time I looked at the property sheet, the check box was gone! Microsoft LOVES to play with our minds! That check box might have been inside the Advianced ... button too, I'm really not sure.

If that is not it, then it has something to do with Sandbox mode. I don't understand Sandbox mode at all, but it is part of Microsoft's Big Brother attitude toward us mere mortals. Do a Google search for MS Office Sandbox and there should be plenty of hits. After reading some of them you might find whatever the key is to unlock your own database.

Hope this helps,

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly McK
    I created a Data Base with MS Access 2002 using my workstation (laptop) and saving it accross the network on the server. When I try to open this file from my workstation on which it was created, i get an"Open File - Security Warnig" listing publisher: unknown publisher. If I go ahead and click open I get a MS Access box stating "Microsoft Access cannot open this file. This file is located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site. MS Access will not open the file due to potential security problems... copy it to your machine..

Turning off my firewall doesn't solve the problem. I can open the file off the server from another work station (Access 97 - I saved a copy as 97). All of the files I work with using Excel, Word, Paradox, etc are located on the server and there have never been any issues with opening them. With my current work station I have never created or tried to open a MS Access file on the server. I could do so with my previous work station. My work station OS: MS Windows XP professonal Version2002 SP 2. Any ideas? Thanks. Kelly
    Hi,

I googled and found this for you:

have a nice one,
    BUD

IE7 is culprit for me

I'm setting up a small network at work, have a Windows Server 2003 server as a file server and a number of PCs which map a drive to a folder there. I did a full Windows Update on the user PCs, which installed SP2, Internet Explorer 7, and more.

When I try to run a .mdb that resides on the server, I get, as described above:
    Microsoft Access cannot open this file.
    This file is located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site. Microsoft
    Access will not open the file due to potential security problems.
    To open the file, copy it to your computer or an accessible network location.

I don't get the checkbox in the properties, as described. Also, I tried a lot of combinations of things in Internet Options' Local Intranet and Trusted Sites to no avail.

So, I tried uninstalling IE7 and it's 2 updates (KB931768 and KB928090), which took 3 restarts, thank you Microsoft, and then I could open the .mdb and got no error messages.

Only problem now is I can't do Automatic Updates any more because it automatically re-installs IE7. I have to do custom update and avoid doing IE7 and it's updates.

Seems like Microsoft really screwed up on this one. All the verbage about web sites when I'm only dealing with files! Really poor if you ask me.

Follow-up to "IE7 is culprit for me"

I then re-installed IE7, but with neither of the 2 IE7 updates and could once again not open an mdb on a network drive.

Problem solved for me -- not IE7

OK, here is what worked for me.

To recap my situation, I have .mdb files on a Windows Server file server and a bunch of Win XP Pro PCs, all in the same IP# range. I don't use Active Directory. Before installing IE7, I could double-click the .mdb in My Computer and Access would open it and I could add data and everything. Then I did a Windows Update that installed IE7 and then when I started the .mdb, I got "Microsoft Access cannot open this file.
    This file is located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site. Microsoft Access will not open the file due to potential security problems.
    To open the file, copy it to your computer or an accessible network location."

The problem seems to be that Internet Options is poorly written. It let me enter either myname.mycompany.com or *.myname.mycompany.com as a Local Intranet site, but doesn't tell me that both formats are incorrect. Article 174360 refers to "file:" addresses, so I tried file:///R: where R is the drive letter I have mapped to a folder on my server. It converted that to file://*.myname.mycompany.com and, voila, it would again let Access open the mdb.

By the way, elsewhere I had seen that using gpedit.msc to add "*.exe;*.mdb" to the "Inclusion list for moderate risk file types" would stop the Unknown Publisher window from coming up when you run a program or an Access database on the server. After making the above "file:" change, I could change this policy back to "not set" and it still worked. I like this, because the "*.exe;*.mdb" setting says allow these file types from any source, which seems vulnerable to me. I like getting Local Intranet to work much better, since it says "I trust everything on my own server".

Microsoft, you owe me a week's pay.

try setting

tools macro security to low

possibly may help

Smile db from server now loads! Solved !!

For Hod: Thanks for your tip about "file:///R:". Such an easy thing, after wrestling with this problem for two weeks. Made this change in IE8, and can now load Access97 mdb as well as Access2002. OK, so it's six years after your post and I found it by accident, but very valuable anyway.

Unsurprisingly, Microsoft's "support" is useless: lots of words, but precious little help. Even though I'm American, I thought I had a pretty good grasp of the English language and technogeekspeak 'til I tried to implement some of MicroFacists' "solutions". So, no Registry hacks, no Hotfixes and no "You should be running the latest update" BS, just a neat fix thanks to Hod.