Wink Unanswered: in-line & out-of-line

Can someone be kind enough to explain these 2 terms?

I came across this term being used as "data stored in-line or out-of-line". What does it mean in the above context?

thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 4
    I've heard of an inline view, but - beeing too lazy too Google fo terms you have mentioned - I wouldn't know what would they mean.

Maybe they're talking about the difference between BLOB/CLOB & BFILE?
    ---=Chuck

They are actually comparing between Long Raw and LOB. My question is quite simple. Sorry if i made it complicated. I just needed to know the difference between In-Line and Out-Of-Line. What does In-Line means when this term is used. Thank u all in advance for helping....

In-Line -- the data is stored *possibly* in a database block. I said probably because you must account for the whole row not to get bigger than a database block for this to happen. This generally happen with lobs less than 4000 bytes or so.

Out-of-Line just store a point to the lob index and this to the lob chunks, meaning more I/O to get the data since you must read the table data then the index lob then the chunks.

There are 2 scenarios that are possible:

1) LONG/LOB vs BFILE - data is either stored in a table (in-line), or just a pointer [to data sitting in a filesystem] is stored in a table (out-of-line)

2) When a LOB datatype is defined on a table, a some of that data can be stored on the same datablock as the row data. If it exceeds a certain amount, it is stored elsewhere. Or, when setting up that column, you can define it ahead of time so that it stores all of the LOB data in another tablespace.

We don't specify where our CLOB data should reside, so I'm scant on details here, but that's the general concept.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...lements001.htm
    "The built-in LOB datatypes BLOB, CLOB, and NCLOB (stored internally) and BFILE (stored externally) can store large and unstructured data such as text, image, video, and spatial data. BLOB, CLOB, and NCLOB data can be up to (4 gigabytes -1) * (database block size) in size. BFILE data can be up to 4 gigabytes in size.

When creating a table, you can optionally specify different tablespace and storage characteristics for LOB columns or LOB object attributes from those specified for the table.

LOB columns contain LOB locators that can refer to in-line (in the database) or out-of-line (outside the database) LOB values. Selecting a LOB from a table actually returns the LOB locator and not the entire LOB value. The DBMS_LOB package and Oracle Call Interface (OCI) operations on LOBs are performed through these locators."

--=Chuck