Unanswered: Is there a system table with timestamp info or DTS job info?

I want to be able to see when records have been added to a table. The issue is we have a DTS job scheduled to run every night. The developer who wrote it password protected it and doesn't work here anymore. I want to add a step to this series of DTS jobs and want to run it just prior to his job. Is there a way to see when the records are being added or when this job is being run? Thanks again, you guys are the best.

ddave

Quote Originally Posted by dolfandave
    The developer who wrote it password protected it and doesn't work here anymore.
    Were I in your position, I would disable the job entirely until such time as I could gain access to the DTS package, verify its contents and document the steps. I realize that this may be paranoia on my part, but there are just so many things wrong with having this package running against (presumably) production data.

Consider this: if the package contains an easter egg set to wipe your data clean on his birthday, what's your recovery strategy?

Rewrite the package from scratch if you need to, but be sure that it never runs again.

Regards,

hmscott

PS. I might be slightly less paranoid if the developer had documented the password somewhere and it has simply been "lost". But if he never documented it (and never provided an indication that it was password protected), then I don't think you can be paranoid enough.
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Isn't there a system table that our DBA should be able to look into to see such password or at least be able to reset a password for a DTS job?

ddave

Quote Originally Posted by dolfandave
    Isn't there a system table that our DBA should be able to look into to see such password or at least be able to reset a password for a DTS job?

ddave
    I believe that the details of a DTS package are stored in msdb.dbo.sysdtspackages. I believe that the password (along with tasks and other items) is stored in binary form in the column packagedata. This column is not readable.

If the package is being called from a SQL job, you might find the password stored in the step that calls the job. If the package is called from a script or from a batch file (ie, like a Windows Scheduled task), you might find the password there.

I don't think you will find it in any of the system tables in SQL Server.

Good luck and good hunting.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?