Question Hello... newb question

Hi,

I have a queston regarding a database search feature.

You know how, in a normal Windows program, if you go "Help" and "Help Topics", you get a mini tutorial program that lists help topics about that particular program.

Inside that windows help program, you can click on the Search tab and type in any text, and the closest help topic to the word you typed will appear at the top of the list. For example,

Say the list consists of:

11 sins
    12 days
    Acme
    Adobe
    Apple
    Ardvark
    Borland
    Broderbund

If you type in "A" in the search box, then the program will bring to the top "Acme" and "Adobe" "Apple" etc.

If you type "P" after that (so now the box has "AP") then the program will list "Apple" first

I need to know what this particular feature is called, where you type a text in the search box and the program will automatically bring up all the matching fields corresponding to the letter(s) you typed.

Also, are there any database front-end software that has this type of search feature? Filemaker Pro?

I think this feature is called a wildcard search - but you won't get any marks for that in a homework assignment (I can't remember the proper word)...
    In answer to your second question - most (if not all) databases can/will support this feature, as it is a simple programmatic SQL search.
    For more on SQL, see this site: http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

More information on this search feature:
    With this being windows, I reckon it's programmed in basic. Which means that we use events, functions an dprocedures...
    At a guess, I'd say that the event is "After Update" (after the user inputs another character, we want to run the search again)
    After we update the textbox we want to run a search function (or sub) that takes whatever value we typed into the textbox and use it as our criteria in our SQL statement.
    George
    Home | Blog

hi, georgev is right.
    You have to customize events like keypressing and assigning a particular search string that searches the current pattern you typed.

Thank you.

Now I just have to find out if this is doable using FileMaker Pro.... if not do we have to make a front-end software in VBasic or something

What programming language is used in FileMaker? I can't say I'm familiar with what that program (/database?) is.
    George
    Home | Blog