Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oracle vs. Sybase

Hello,

I would like to know differencies between Oracle/Sybase, pro and con. Can you write some notes why to prefer Oracle?

Thanks for response
    David

There's a magic word: Google.

I tried it, but there is not much info... Many links reference e.g. this page http://www.rocket99.com/sybase/syb_vs_ora.html But there is no pro and con for using Oracle or Sybase...

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    I suggest you take remedial Google training.
    Code:
    DBMS - November 1996 - Comparison SummaryIn 1991 I performed a thorough evaluation and comparison of the four major DBMSs at the time: Informix, Ingres, Oracle, and Sybase. This comparison was done ...
    www.dbmsmag.com/9611d52.html - 24k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this 

Sybase versus OracleSybase's enterprise data replication facility is the leader in the industry; more Oracle customers purchase the Sybase offering than do Oracle's own product ...
    www.rocket99.com/sybase/syb_vs_ora.html - 25k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this 

Microsoft SQL Server: Companies Switching to SQL ServerAfter a side-by-side comparison with IBM DB2, Countrywide decided to ... The archiving company previously used Sybase 11.5 and Oracle 8.0 to handle its ...
    www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/compare/switchers.mspx - 29k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this 

Oracle vs. Sybase database features comparisonA side by side comparison of Oracle and Sybase database features. The link below compares Oracle and Sybase by listing database features such as memory ...
    www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_news/2005_11_11_sybase_database_comparison.htm - 29k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this 

Oracle vs. Sybase: 10 reasons to use Sybase on LinuxI believe that Sybase's client list among the financial services industry (and all other industries) would pale in comparison to Oracle's client list in ...
    searchstorage.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid41_gci1210407,00.html - 75k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this 

Database Query Tool for Oracle, Sybase, DB2, SQL Server, Informix ...Database Query Tool for Oracle, Sybase, DB2, SQL Server. ... modules such as the Data Loader and Data Compare tool that are the equivalent of other ...
    www.querytool.com/ - 16k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this 

Oracle Sybase Comparison1 to 10 of 96 results for "oracle sybase comparison" ... Abstract : Sybase, Inc. has announced an agreement to acquire New Era of Networks (also known as ...
    softwarefinder.mbtmag.com/search/for/Oracle-Sybase-Comparison.html - 34k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this 

SobolsoftMS Access Compare Two Tables & Find (Combine, Join) Differences Software ... Oracle Sybase Anywhere Import, Export & Convert Software. FoxPro Applications ...
    www.sobolsoft.com/ - 80k - May 6, 2007 - Cached - Similar pages - Note this 

SybaseSybase Web Seminar Registration. Advantage Web Seminar: Sybase IQ vs. Oracle 10g Enterprise Edition. Stop paying a la carte for analytic performance that ...
    response.sybase.com/19234A?elqpurlpage=64&salesperson=CEC - 41k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this 

Sybase Oracle Schema Comparison [Archive] - dBforumsWe have a software which generates schema information in both Sybase and Oracle. My aim here is to compare the Schema information between Sybase and Oracle ...
    www.dbforums.com/archive/index.php/t-966200.html - 5k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of Inquisitive Idiots.

Did you tried some of the links? What informative value they carry or if they work at all?

Maybe I did express it wrong... I appreciate if you write your opinion or experiencies instead of offer google links

Many thanks

David

I would say from past experience with Sybase the big difference is the way both do locking. Sybase (and sqlserver) have handled concurrency by locking records to prevent dirty reads (which they can allow if you want better performance). So writers have to wait for readers and readers have to wait for writers.

Oracle uses a multi versioning system where it can hold multiple copies of the data so that each session sees the data as it was when the transaction started (i.e. you get a consistent view of data at a point in time ). Because you have multiple copies of data readers dont wait for writers and writers dont wait for readers, only writers writing to the same record will wait for other writers.

I personally prefer the Oracle way even though it means extra overhead (you usually find simple single user benchmarks run quicker on Sybase/sqlserver than Oracle) you always get a consistent view of the data. The advantage of the Oracle way is also you very rarely get locking issues (no automatic escalation of locks to table level for example).

The other key difference is that generally Sybase/sqlserver are easier to learn though conversly you can do a lot more tweaking with Oracle if you know what your doing.

Alan

In addition to AlanP's post :

If you have to choose between Sybase and Oracle, I consider Sybase as a declining DBMS whereas Oracle is very widely used, has a strong official support and a wide and active community (asktom, experts' blogs, forums...).

If you want a Sybase-like DBMS, then choose SQL Server instead, for IMO it has a much more brilliant future than Sybase.

Just my 2 cents

rbaraer
    ORA-000TK : No bind variable detected... Shared Pool Alert code 5 - Nuclear query ready .

Quote Originally Posted by AlanP
    Oracle uses a multi versioning system where it can hold multiple copies of the data so that each session sees the data as it was when the transaction started
    This is very interesting to know. How do other servers handle concurrent requests? Primarily interested in Ingres, MySQL, IBM DB2 and SAP DB, but if you know how others handle it, please tell as well

Most other databases dont do multiversioning but instead rely on locking. Thus they lock data preventing others from reading it until the transaction commits (some allow dirty reads where you read uncommited data but this means you cant guarantee your query is returning referentially correct data). This means queries always return committed data BUT readers are blocked until writers finish their transactions. This means you can get serious locking issues on a heavily used database where queries can hang for long periods of time waiting for big transactions to finish. It also means you cant guarentee referential integrity for your query results as small transactions could mean a large query is basically showing you the data as it was at the start plus any changes which occur during the running of the query i.e. your results are not a snapshot in time but the data as it was during the time your query was running which maybe significant.

Alan

David, when you find arguments why buy oracle, then visit regional Oracle office. Responsible sales manager you provide lot of materials why.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanP
    Most other databases dont do multiversioning but instead rely on locking.
    Which ones?

Oracle (and Oracle's rdb formerly known as rdb/VMS), Firebird, Postgres use MVCC. The new storage engine for MySQL (Vulcan) also uses MVCC (Surprise! It was developed by the chief Firebird architect ).
    I think even the most recent version of SQL Server can be run in MVCC mode.

Typo by shammat there i think, new MySQL engine is called Falcon not Vulcan (which was the project name for the next generation SMP-capable Firebird).

Quote Originally Posted by aschk
    Typo by shammat there i think, new MySQL engine is called Falcon not Vulcan (which was the project name for the next generation SMP-capable Firebird).
    Yes of course I meant Falcon.

Btw:
    here is a nice description of MVCC and DBMS that use it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multive...rrency_control

btw. PostgreSQL also uses MVCC.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert