Unanswered: Can you use another server's Config file for a new Sybase server install...

We will be performing a new Sybase install. They would like the configuration to match our production server. I was thinking that I could do a default install at first (with default configurations). Then shutdown the server and put a copy of the production server congfiguration file in place of the existing configuration file (on the new server). Then boot the server up.

Will this work? Is there anything I'm overlooking or issues that may arrise? Are there confiruations that have to be explicitly performed inside the dataserver, or can they all be performed with the above technique?

For example, named cache and binding objects to a specific name cache. Can this all be handled via config file, or does this have to be set interally (to the dataserver)?

For example, if a dbccdb exists in Production, but does not exist in the new server install/environment. Will issues arrise?

Thank you for the time you are setting aside to help.
    Last edited by ftmjr; 05-10-07 at 01:51.

Would work, as long as the box is same spec as prod machine and you have built the box similarly. You know, things like sysdef SEGSZ and SEMAX, ulimit etc..

You can actually do an sp_configure "read" from the new file to update the spt_values and then shutown. This way, you give the ASE a chance to trail out the new file before booting with it.

Binding objects to a specific "Named Cache"?

Thanks a million for your feedback and help.

I think I'm familiar with the sysdef MYCONFIG and MYSECCONFIG. I believe this is used to compare two files against each other.

Unfortunetly, I'm not familiar with the "ulimit". Or know what "etc.." may consist of (i.e. other checks to make or steps to follow).

Please explain "ulimit" and "etc.."

I know this is a tall order and apologize for the trouble.
    Last edited by ftmjr; 05-10-07 at 08:39.

Binding objects to a specific "Named Cache"?

If I use a different configuration file (i.e. from a existing Production server), will I still need to manually bind objects to specific "Name Cache" that may exist afterwards?

Are there other things I should think about, which need to be configured after booting, which may require manual tweaking as well? Or does the configure file cover all bases (related to server configuration)?

-------------------------------------------------

Actually... by typing the second paragraph, it just made me realize something. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way. Maybe I should be looking at this in a layered approach. For example...

Layer 01) Use manual install or resource file to perform server install.

Layer 02) Setup server level configurations by manually setting, using defaults and/or using another server's configuration file.

Layer 03) Set database and object level configuratoins, permissions and/or options.

Meaning... binding databases or objects to a specific "Named Cache" would fall under "Layer 03".

What do you think? Is this a correct way to look at it?

Thank you.

These are your standard hard and soft limit settings on solaris. They should match as well.

Thank you for your help... :)

Many thanks for your help and feedback.