Question about users

I have to create some users for scripters, data entries, etc. And from each area, they all have to work united for the same goal. Now my question is: should I create one user for each person or one for each area? There are max 3-4 persons in each area.

Thanks

I don't think you have explained your problem well enough...
    But here's my suggestion

Users(UserID, GroupID UserName, Password ... etc ...)
    Groups(GroupID, GroupName ... etc ...)

That's suggesting that one user can be in ONE group.
    George
    Home | Blog

No a user is a user

An individual may have one or more role in the db. for example a user may have clearance to look at data, but not change it,

a user may have rights to change normal data, but view masterfile data.

a system administrator may have rights to view data but not change it.

a system operator may have rights to run reports nut not data viewing or modification

but those are roles, you may have multiple system operators.

a person may move roles within the organisation, for example (someone with masterfiels cleaerance will probably also have normal data clearance.

By assigning security policies to roles, and users to roles you have a way of allowing a specific user to have the permissions they need to do their work, you have the granularity to allocate permissions as required, and the flexibility without a significant maintenance task

someone may move from accounts receivable to accounts payable, and you may decide to switch the roles that person is entitled to use. so if you had a user role / group for each tack moving the user is simple. if you allocate permissions at user level then you have to have a lot more knowledge about the application(s) that user used to use, and now is expected to use. One of the practical problems in implementing security is often remembering to remove permissions form users as they move through an organisaiton.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Sorry, I assumed this was a question about data modelling, my bad
    George
    Home | Blog