Unanswered: How to get the last timestamp a table was altered

Hi

Db2 8.2.6 on windows

Would like to know how to get the last timestamp a table was altered. I can get get the create_time of table from syscat.tables, but I cannot see anything there as to when a table was altered.

Thanks

Hari Kumar
    Last edited by sundaram; 05-11-07 at 00:34. Reason: Corerct typo in subject

Provided Answers: 4
    You could write a stored procedure (sp) to keep that bookkeeping information for you.

Each time a record is inserted, updated or deleted from that table another table could be updated to reflect that event.

Or, something that is very often done, write a sp that stores per record when it was created, who did it and when it was last updated and by who and a counter that stores the number of updates.

If you only need to know the information for a whole table, the fastest way to accomplish this is the first solution, though with high insert/update/delete loads, the table that stores the bookkeeping info could become a bottleneck.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Provided Answers: 5
    Wim's solution would work, but only if you are able to force everyone to use the Stored Procedure to do all of the insert/update/deletes. If you cannot guarantee that every user will use the Stored Procedures, you should create triggers to log the information. That way no one will be able to bypass the logging. DB2 by itself does not track this info.

Andy

I believe that the OP wants to know when the schema (number of columns, types of the columns, constraints, ...) of the table were changed - not the content of the table. As far as I know, there is nothing in the DB2 catalog to provide that information.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

My error, i meant to use triggers (instead of stored procedures) to do all that bookeeping.

Quote Originally Posted by ARWinner
    Wim's solution would work, but only if you are able to force everyone to use the Stored Procedure to do all of the insert/update/deletes. If you cannot guarantee that every user will use the Stored Procedures, you should create triggers to log the information. That way no one will be able to bypass the logging. DB2 by itself does not track this info.
    Andy
    Wim

Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

There is still something like a log to keep all the modifications one has applied to a databse.
    Wim

Quote Originally Posted by Wim
    There is still something like a log to keep all the modifications one has applied to a databse.
    Right. But with that argument, you wouldn't need triggers or whatever to track data changes either.

The log is not such a good alternative because it is (mostly) for DB2-internal purposes only to ensure the durability and consistency of a database.
    Knut Stolze

Thanks for the reply Stolze.

I take it from your statement that there are no catlog info in DB2 as to when exactly a table structure was modified.

hari

Quote Originally Posted by sundaram
    I take it from your statement that there are no catlog info in DB2 as to when exactly a table structure was modified.
    Not that I'm aware of, no.
    Knut Stolze

ya there is nothing in catalog tables
    but if you activate db2audit then u can keep track of the ddl changes
    and all other changes made by various authorities
    Rahul Singh
    Certified DB2 9 DBA / Application Developer