Unanswered: raw device vs. file system... Re-Visited

Really happy to see the above discussion thread. Unfortunately, it took place almost 5 years ago (in 2002).

Please refer to the following dBforums thread...

http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.p...51#post6271851

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of curiosity... now that we are 5 years later... what does everyone think about this now?

Are there any real reasons to stop using "raw devices" and use "file system devices" instead?

Personally, I prefer to stay with raw devices, but want to bounce the idea off of everyone and see what they think.

I want to make sure that I'm not staying with raw devices just because that's the way it has always been done.

I look forward to your ideas and feedback.

Thank you.
    Last edited by ftmjr; 05-11-07 at 05:28.

raw device vs. file system... Re-Visited

Is there any documentation on the internet that shows a true performance test or true world case study / comparison?

Thank you.

P.S. Our managers are talking of creating our own test. To be honest, I think this would be a waste of our time and resources. I'm hoping to find something on the internet that will show a recent test or discussion concerning this topic.
    Last edited by ftmjr; 05-11-07 at 05:30.

Sun Micro had done a ZFS benchmark when Solaris 10 was first released. Check that out.

Thanks a million for your help and pointing me in the right direction. I'll go check it out.

It will be a shame if we go through the exausting process of creating our own test scenarios, test cases, hardware setup, etc. if it's already been done and well documented.

Thank you.