Unanswered: Group Query - how to sum all fields across

Maybe the week has just been too long.

I have a table

empl date reghrs OT holiday holwrkd sick callout

I am bringing a month's worth of records into a query, grouping on empl where date is between yada, yada and summing the hours in each field.

I want to get a total hours ACROSS for this....total of reghrs,OT,Hol for each empl..

I've tried Field1+Field2+Field3 in a new "totals" field...tried updating the table, tried "setvalue" (or Me.totals= Me.Reghrs+Me.OT+Me.Holiday, etc) and I'm missing something here.

thank you for your help.

Provided Answers: 1
    Fancy posting the whole query you have so far? You're not that far off the mark, other than I don't see a Sum() function anywhere there.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

thank you for looking

All the little letters just stand for categories of exception hours. Believe me, it wasn't my idea.

SELECT [Lname] & ", " & [Fname] AS Name, Employees.[Empl#], Sum(Hours.RegHrs) AS SumOfRegHrs, Sum(Hours.OT) AS SumOfOT, Sum(Hours.C) AS SumOfC, Sum(Hours.OC) AS SumOfOC, Sum(Hours.H) AS SumOfH, Sum(Hours.V) AS SumOfV, Sum(Hours.S) AS SumOfS, Sum(Hours.HW) AS SumOfHW, Sum(Hours.LWOP) AS SumOfLWOP, Sum([RegHrs]+[OT]+[C]+[OC]+[V}+[S]+[H]+[HW]+[LWOP]+[F]+[N]+[J]) AS Total
    FROM Employees LEFT JOIN Hours ON Employees.[Empl#] = Hours.[Empl#]
    WHERE (((Hours.Date) Between [Forms]![Frm-RptSelect]![BeginDate] And [Forms]![Frm-RptSelect]![EndDate]) AND ((Employees.Hourly)=-1))
    GROUP BY [Lname] & ", " & [Fname], Employees.[Empl#]
    ORDER BY [Lname] & ", " & [Fname];

Ooops...that's really a ] after the V... I corrected it and it still doesn't work

I did not let my values in the field default to "0", so the only values are what have been entered. Is having most of the fields empty my problem?

If the fields are Null and not 0 then you will have problems (if I understand your question). You can use the Nz function to change Nulls to zeroes.

Ex.

Sum(Nz(Hours.RegHrs,0))

Group Sum Query....answer

Yes, thank you...the blank fields were the problem. The Nz() function helps a lot. I had taken the zero default out, because people entering their hours sometimes don't write over the zero, and we get 80 hours instead of 8. Thank you for your time and trouble.