Question Unanswered: Any file size limit for import in IXF with LOBs

Hi

DB2 8.2.6 on Windows 2000.

DB2 7.2 had an issue importing data with LOB file size greater than 1Gb. Does 8.2 has same issue/limitation?

Thanks

Hari Kumar
    Last edited by sundaram; 05-16-07 at 01:15.

What issue?
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Hi Sathya,

The issue in 7.2.5 occurs under following circumstances

Export table that has lobs.
    The exported lob file size is > 1GB
    Import to another db/table the exported data.
    The imported lob content get screwed-up when lobpointer (pointer in export file that points to start of data in the lobfile) tries to point to location > 1GB. lobpointer can access only offsets upto 1Gb.

Would like to know if this was fixed in version 8

Hari

Hi,

U have to enable large files at the OS level. Then you can export the LOBS.

What does "screwed-up" mean? Did you get an error message from DB2? If so, which? Did you get invalid data? Was the file truncated at the OS level?
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Hi Stolze,

There are no errors in import log or in db2diag. But then if you review the contents of the imported lob data, some of the rows will have totaly junk data as contents.

Hari Kumar

So you got no error message at all? How have you determined that the data is junk? Also, what kind of LOBs do you try to import (CLOB vs. BLOB)? For CLOBs, you may have code page issues. Depending on how where you got the data to be imported from, you may have send the data in the wrong mode (ASCII as binary FTP or vice versa).

In short, I believe that you simply had a problem in your setup and not a DB2 problem. But given that we don't have any details, we can only give some educated guesses.
    Knut Stolze

So you got no error message at all?

Yes absoluetely no errors in import log file and db2diag.log

How have you determined that the data is junk?

The lob column was defined as clob - so I can see the text contents in extract. I did export of the table in question and found the contents started going bad only for the last set of rows. Actualy the contents of these bad rows where part of the data in the begining of the lob file.

Also, what kind of LOBs do you try to import (CLOB vs. BLOB)? For CLOBs, you may have code page issues. Depending on how where you got the data to be imported from, you may have send the data in the wrong mode (ASCII as binary FTP or vice versa

I do not think this is the case because the import and export tables where in the same database instance.

Regards

Hari Kumar

Stupid question then: why do you take the detour over an external file if you could simply copy the data from one table to another?

Anyway, my guess is that you simply had an environmental problem in V7. What you describe is straight-forward import/export stuff and that should work out of the box. Given that V7 is out of service for more than 1 year, I wouldn't want to pursue this further. If things don't work on V8, you should provide us more details...
    Knut Stolze