Database Designer (freelance, MySQL)

Hello,
    I am currently working on the creation of a number of sports related websites and i am looking for someone who can assist me in the area of database design. ( structure and queries )

Before you read on note that I do not have the budget to pay commercial rates. I am looking for someone who is satisfied with making a little extra spending money by doing small design projects from time to time.

I am myself a Java programmer and design my own website(s). I can do most database work myself, up to 90%, but it's the last 10% that proves to be beyond me. So i'm looking for someone experienced to assist me. I am not an agent, you will work directly for me and with me.

Your tasks are:
    - Analyse and document data as provided by me.
    Simple documentation that i will expand myself into data dictionaries.

- Design the structure of database(s) to hold that data.

- Design database management procedures such as backups.
    You are not expected to do any day-to-day tasks, only design the actions that need to be done.

- Design queries on the database.
    I will make designs for output files and (web)pages, you design the queries required. I am aware that an output page may require multiple queries with intermittent programming. I should be able to provide this programming myself so we will be working closely together on this.

I work with rented hosting space and only use Java technology (Tomcat) and MySQL. It would be great if you have some experience with Java based websites but it is not required.

The first project will be the design of a football(soccer) database.
    This database will contain historic data as well as some real-time data and will act as a resource for a number of applications such as websites with soccer statistics, bookmakers odds comparison, betting advisory services, etc. In this area i currently have one website called www.soccerfavourites.com which i intend to expand greatly in time for next soccer season.
    Other projects in future will involve Tennis and Horse Racing.

Feel free to contact me for any further information: erik (AT) soccerfavourites.com

how big a difference do you think there is between "commercial rates" and "a little extra spending money"?

remember, in life, you get what you pay for

if you come out of the gate saying you won't pay well, you're going to get exactly the same quality result

my advice: pay a pro for a half hour's work, or pay a student/amateur for seven hours

your call

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Good point,

Difficult to say as i don't have a clear idea how much time it will take.

If you tell me it will take 100 hours and your rate is 100US$ then please don't contact me.

If you say it takes between 10 and 15 hours at 25US$ the price range becomes 250 - 375 US$ then we can work something out.

It's diffucult to say how long it will take with the small amount of information provided. If you're budget is a big issue then you might want to try this yourself (learning is free ).

Now that you're a member here at dbforums I'm sure that there are many people here willing to help you with any specific questions you come across.

Design is always the hardest part (getting the specification is the second ) but I'm sure you could do a good job of it yourself

And your advert is refreshingly honest. I like that
    George
    Home | Blog

thanks for your reply George,

I already have a database, designed and created myself and operational on the www.soccerfavourites.com website. To illustrate the extent of my own ability. Now i want to expand and i find myself at the limit of what i can do myself. I.e. i'm stuck.

The problem with posting questions on the board is that for anyone to give me a good answer on some of the problems i'm encountering they would have to spend quite some time looking at what i have and where i want to go. This is beyond what anyone can expect from a place like this. So i'm quite willing to pay some cash for that time.

I'm currently writing up the design of what i want.
    Listing the data to process as well as the output in the form of webpages. It should be possible to make a reasonable estimate on the amount of time required based on that. Remember i'll be looking to do as much of the work myself as far as i can so the amount of time shouldn't be too much.

I won't post more details here but anyone interested can contact me and i'll send all the info i have and then we'll see from there. To give you a general idea of what's involved you can have a look at this site: www.365stats.com

A site simular in functionality will be the main applications for the database. ( only bigger and better )
    Last edited by BettingSherlock; 05-16-07 at 09:35.

It still might be worth your while asking a question in the Database Design & Concepts thread on the site imo
    George
    Home | Blog

When i come across something that doesn't take too much time to look into i certainly will, thanks