Question Unanswered: HR Vacation Database

Hi All

I have just created a proposal for a PTO(paid time off) database system with Microsoft Access 2003. This system only allows managers to approve the PTOs and also for associates(subordinates of managers) to apply for PTOs.

This is a HR Vacation tracker system and maintains PTO data. Now I want to know if I have to come up with atleast four tables for the purpose of the course, how do I add potential entities which will be actually useful to the Managers. I am thinking project info., org. structure etc. ??

Comments and even spoonfeeding is welcomed.

Thanks
    VG.

Quote Originally Posted by vganju
    Now I want to know if I have to come up with atleast four tables for the purpose of the course, how do I add potential entities which will be actually useful to the Managers. I am thinking project info., org. structure etc. ??

Comments and even spoonfeeding is welcomed.
    No spoon feeding for homework questions VG. We are happy to nudge and guide but you do the grunt work.

Please could you show us what you have so far? Please could you also expand on the bold text. Are you looking for ideas for entities or how to implement them?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

oh oh, I wanna try to help.
    buuuttt...
    how do you want to add entities? Since this is a homework thing I don't wanna run down some long and winding path that is unneccessary.

So you have entities in mind right?
    Like Manager, Employee, Department, something like that?
    Do you need to build forms to do this so it's like a full and complete file or do you just need to add them manually so you can show your teacher a report and that's enough for an A?

How about a diagram of how you see the tables relating and an idea of the constraints of the assignement.

thanks

Hi Starkmann

thanks for the reply. actually it is a small database in terms of density(no. of records in each table) but we need to design build and be able to create an implementable DB. So I did three tables but teacher needs 4. so i am planning to change the design further but need help in thinking of new entities to go in there which could 'make sense'. Because personally, I was happy with what I had. let us make it a little more complex and impressive now.

I have an employee table, a Paid time off table and am thinking of adding a project table and a skill table may be.

further attractions for the project will have interesting queries and forms and reports to demonstrate learning. that will get me an A. :-)

Thanks for your ideas!!

VG

so you primarily need tables right now?
    show us what you got.
    The questions that enter my mind are:
    Are managers also employees?
    Are users the same as managers?

Is this an open ended this where you can do the project about anything and it just has to have four tables? Seems like you could track and assign PTO all with one or two.

Employees-includes but not limited to (Employee,Manager,PTOTot,PTOPend)
    PTOReq(Start,End,Approved)

What are the other entities you have in mind?

ya

ya managers are also employees but i wanted it to be a separate entity. the teacher needs us to have a db with 4 tables atleast. but then she also said after seeing my proposal that managers are employees. :-( now i am thinking to have more entities and managers will go into a bigger emolyee table.
    then we can say employee manages employee i.e an inner join in employee table. and then I have a PTO table- like you said start, end and approved. lemme send you my db as it looks right now.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

also

also the users of the system are managers who are using it to approve the PTO and their associates who will use it to just apply the PTO. so approval powers are with managers only. :-)

I downloaded your DB:
    • I take it the lookup tables don't count as tables in the tally.
    • I'm with your teacher, no special table for users or for mangers.
    • It looks like the Salary and Number of Hours per Year is determined by the Title so consider normalizing that.
    • Your status table seems like it should fit in one table
    • I see you have a project table, it looks like a 1:M of Project:Employee. That seems treacherous, what about the boss? He has many projects. Would your intersection table count as an additional table?
    • ...fourth entity...What about location, multinational corp or something. the location is an entity with attributes
    • ...fourth entity...Products? Customers?.....any of those work? Could you expand the scope to cover Benefits?

Lemme know if I found one that fits, otherwise, back to brainstorming.

great

see this - i changed it - also look into relationships. and yes look up do not count as tables. we need entity tables.

u there?

Hey I have doubts again. I still essentially have three entities. Do u think Status or skill could be counted as a separate entity?? Are they not attributes?? :-( I am lost.

Skills could be it's own entity i you make it an entity. it would have to do something. maybe a modifier on the salary and determine what projects a person is eligible for would do it.
    In truth, you really need to expand the focus of the db to get a fourth legit entity in there. your not lost, you have most of it done. It's just a matter of looking at the constraints of the assignment and seeing where you have wiggle room. can you add more to it?
    The idea of forcing four entities seems weird to me, but school is weird.
    I still feel like location is the most justifiable fourth entity. it could determine what projects are availible, modify the pay scale even currency. it would have some effect on employees and managers too.