Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Record

Unanswered: Open Record

Ok, so here's what I'm trying to do:

The form (frmOpenTask) allows a user to enter a known Task (Task_ID) from the table, tblTask. When they put that numeric value into the text box (txtTask.text) they then click on the command button (Find!). The database they 'queries' the table, tblTask, and opens the desired task in the form, frmTask, for editing by the user.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

I attached the db, there is security on it so just bypass the security by holding the "Shift" key.

There are more questions I have, they will be posted shortly as I'm trying to get this db up and running by the end of next week. I also attached a zipped 'MS Word' file of what I'm trying to do with the db., if anyone knows answers to them before I create more threads, please oh please, HELP ME!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Provided Answers: 10
    Had a very quick scan of the word doc...
    Shift key is NOT adequate security. Any bod could hold down the shift key on entry to your database and delete any (or all!) data they wanted.

And you can put criteria in your queries such as:
    Task_ID = Forms!YourFormName.FieldName.Value

Then hitting your find could simply requery the... query!

HTH.

EDIT: One other thing - what level of work is this (degree, A Level, GCSE, etc (or other equivalents))?
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Grafixx01
    The form (frmOpenTask) allows a user to enter a known Task (Task_ID) from the table, tblTask. When they put that numeric value into the text box (txtTask.text) they then click on the command button (Find!). The database they 'queries' the table, tblTask, and opens the desired task in the form, frmTask, for editing by the user.

Does anyone know how this can be done?
    Is there a reason why you can't allow users to navigate between records on this form? Otherwise you could even allow this, disable the navigation buttons, and the do a
    DoCmd.GoToRecord acDataForm, "frmTask", acGoTo, recNo
    or something.

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    Shift key is NOT adequate security. Any bod could hold down the shift key on entry to your database and delete any (or all!) data they wanted.
    Agreed, check out this article for at least a little bit better security (still not fool-proof, but 90% better).

Just a couple of picky aesthetic things:
    1) You can fill in the form's Caption field to have a better display at the top of the form (e.g., instead of having it read "frmTask: Form", it could read "Task Form" or something intuitive like that).
    2) If you set the form's Control Box property to No, you get rid of the disabled close button.
    These are just picky details that help make your database look more professional, I'm anal retentive about these sorts of things. You can choose to ignore these and make fun of me

EDIT: One last thing, you may want to run a Compact & Repair before you post your database, it helps to cut down on download time for those of us with slow internet connections.
    Me.Geek = True

I'd make fun - but I do the same things
    I even designed some VBS functions that act as a style sheet for your forms by keeping things like control boxes, modal properties etc consistant
    George
    Home | Blog

georgev,

The "shift" key is not disabled yet for the reason that the database is not completed and in use yet. The users that are going to be using the database, well, let's just say they are not computer literate so I don't think that any of them will know holding "shift" will disable the security throughout the database.

The query thing you said, um, I don't follow. I am considering myself "new" to Access as I haven't messed with it since 2000 when I did the database that I'm attaching to this thread. It has some of the same features in it that I'm trying to put in this one I am doing now. The one I'm doing now is the "nicer" one, that's why I am not using the old one. **The forum keeps returning errors when I try to upload it**

Also, I don't understand your "level of work"? Could you explain?

Quote Originally Posted by nckdryr
    Is there a reason why you can't allow users to navigate between records on this form? Otherwise you could even allow this, disable the navigation buttons, and the do a
    or something.

Agreed, check out this article for at least a little bit better security (still not fool-proof, but 90% better).

1) You can fill in the form's Caption field to have a better display at the top of the form (e.g., instead of having it read "frmTask: Form", it could read "Task Form" or something intuitive like that).
    2) If you set the form's Control Box property to No, you get rid of the disabled close button.
    These are just picky details that help make your database look more professional, I'm anal retentive about these sorts of things. You can choose to ignore these and make fun of me

EDIT: One last thing, you may want to run a Compact & Repair before you post your database, it helps to cut down on download time for those of us with slow internet connections.
    ncdryr,

If you take a look at the db, it is being used to track documents / correspondence that come through the command area. The user creates new tasks by clicking on the "New Task" command button on the main menu. The form "Open Task" is the one that I can't get to open the desired task when the user inputs the Task_ID number (PK in tblTask).

I do not want users to be able to view all records because people will do things that they are not supposed to or things I don't want them to do.

Bryan

** The forum keeps failing on the upload of my old db, otherwise I'd upload it so you all could get an idea on what I'm trying to do with this form. **

Quote Originally Posted by nckdryr
    or something.

I wouldn't make fun. I'm like a complete NOOBIE at Access, haven't messed with it since 2000 on Office XP so I am taking any and all suggestions into account.

I am just trying to get help and have people explain it like "Babyschool", you know, break it down as to what to do, where, why? I want to learn!!

Updated DB with the suggestion of "no" in the control box and form names.

The users that are going to be using the database, well, let's just say they are not computer literate so I don't think that any of them will know holding "shift" will disable the security throughout the database.
    Very dangerous mentality to use. The company I work for have a few access databases dotted about the place, well, let's just say that I now have a reputation for being able to bypass all the security on them. I never knew about the shift trick for years - but a simple google taught me how to bypass it - your users could easily do the same.

If I remember rightly it said somewhere in your document that you record a users log on for use in an udit log? Well, how good is an audit log when any old user can bypass your security and delete the records that they want?
    George
    Home | Blog

Very dangerous mentality to use. The company I work for have a few access databases dotted about the place, well, let's just say that I now have a reputation for being able to bypass all the security on them. I never knew about the shift trick for years - but a simple google taught me how to bypass it - your users could easily do the same.

If I remember rightly it said somewhere in your document that you record a users log on for use in an udit log? Well, how good is an audit log when any old user can bypass your security and delete the records that they want?

georgev,

I know and understand about the 'shift-bypass' being dangerous. I will disable it and password protect the use of it but only after I get this DB done and working the way that I want it to work.

Back to the OP - how are you getting on?
    Did my advice in postt #2 come in handy?
    George
    Home | Blog

Back to the OP - how are you getting on?
    Did my advice in postt #2 come in handy?

georgev,

Ok, so I made a query. Selected the "TaskID" item and then put in the criteria field the following:

= Forms!frmOpenTask.txttask.Value

When I ran the query, NOT FROM THE FORM, it returned what I asked. Ok, well, I just typed in "21" in the dialog box that opened and the results were "21".

HOWEVER, I need to have the user input the number and then when they click the "Find!" button, the query is ran, but OPENS the task in the form, frmTask, for editing.

Any clues?

**The updated db is posted below

Can you go to your query and change to SQL view and post the SQL here?
    George
    Home | Blog

Here it is:

SELECT tblTask.Task_ID
    FROM tblTask
    WHERE (((tblTask.Task_ID)=[Forms]![frmOpenTask].[txttask].[Value]));

Here it is:

SELECT tblTask.Task_ID
    FROM tblTask
    WHERE (((tblTask.Task_ID)=[Forms]![frmOpenTask].[txttask].[Value]));
    That should be
    Code:
    WHERE (((tblTask.Task_ID)=[Forms]![frmOpenTask]![txttask].[Value]));
    Dots [.] only separate objects from their properties (e.g. txttask.Value). You need to use bangs [!] to separate objects from each other.