Question Unanswered: Multi-User MS-Access not working Vista PC-s

I recently installed a new set of PC-s with Vista replacing the old set of PC-s with XP. Now the MS-Access is a single user DB. This is a small network of 5 PC-s. When trying to get in from another more than one PC the second into it clocks. I have tried different things but nothing makes it mult-user.
    1) Within MS-Access I made sure mult-user is checked on all PC-s.
    2) Within the directory where the DB is I made sure the other PC-s can create and delete files.
    3) Turned off the Norton firewall.
    4) Created a C:\temp directory on all the PC-s.
    The PC-s go there a big hospital "switch box" to get to each other. This is the way it was with the old XP PC-s. All other file updates to the network PC work fine.
    Problem happens daily this way.
    Step 1 - One of the computers (HMB1 thru HMB4) gets
    into the DB on the network PC, to enter data or view data.

Step 2 - Another one of the computers (HMB1 thru
    HMB4) click to open the DB. The DB has an initial
    form log-in screen this never displays. There is no
    pop-up of the log-in screen at all, usually. No
    reaction from clicking the short cut icon. Last week
    the network error msg: "Disk or network (Error3043)"
    appeared.

I am thinking of a possible solution of installing a
    router to make the non-profit organization's computer
    a sub-set of the hospital's network.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks Russ@ed-dev.org

Is this one database on a networked PC that everyone is trying to open? Have you thought of separating the data into a second database? Actually, this is a VERY good practice. And, once you have done the separation, you can put a copy of the NON-data database on everyone's PC. Then, no one is sharing the database, they will only be linked to a common DATA database.

The easiest way to separate the data from the rest of the database would be to make a copy of the database, name the copy YourDatabaseNameDATA.mdb, then in the non-data database, remove (delete) all the table. ONLY THE TABLES! Then, using Files/Get External Data/Link you can point to the DATA database on the network and select ALL tables. Now, you can copy this database (the NON-data database) to everyone's PCs. This whole procedure should take no more than 10 to 30 minutes. AND, you have NOT destroyed your original database, you have only renamed it by adding DATA to the end of the existing name.

Provided Answers: 10
    Where have you been hiding Vic? Work going alright atm?
    George
    Home | Blog

Update and No-Update Database-s

I do not quite get, everyone updates the one database. There are four people working at the office. And they all want to update the database.

I could make an inquiry database. For if someone want to inquiry they will not be in the real-time update database. Were you thinking the database was for inquiry only.

Thanks for your input, I will think about an separate inquiry DB.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by RussTechExpress View Post
    I recently installed a new set of PC-s with Vista replacing the old set of PC-s with XP. Now the MS-Access is a single user DB. This is a small network of 5 PC-s. When trying to get in from another more than one PC the second into it clocks. I have tried different things but nothing makes it mult-user.
    1) Within MS-Access I made sure mult-user is checked on all PC-s.
    2) Within the directory where the DB is I made sure the other PC-s can create and delete files.
    3) Turned off the Norton firewall.
    4) Created a C:\temp directory on all the PC-s.
    The PC-s go there a big hospital "switch box" to get to each other. This is the way it was with the old XP PC-s. All other file updates to the network PC work fine.
    Problem happens daily this way.
    Step 1 - One of the computers (HMB1 thru HMB4) gets
    into the DB on the network PC, to enter data or view data.

Step 2 - Another one of the computers (HMB1 thru
    HMB4) click to open the DB. The DB has an initial
    form log-in screen this never displays. There is no
    pop-up of the log-in screen at all, usually. No
    reaction from clicking the short cut icon. Last week
    the network error msg: "Disk or network (Error3043)"
    appeared.

I am thinking of a possible solution of installing a
    router to make the non-profit organization's computer
    a sub-set of the hospital's network.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks Russ@ed-dev.org

I had the same problem, we solved it as follows:
    Open internet explorer properties, click "Security" tab, then Select "Local intranet" and click the "Sites" button. Click "Advanced", then add the IP address of the computer where the access file is located, don't forget to add the "//" or "\\" before the IP.

Do the same work on the rest of the computers that are supposed to access this file.

Good luck
    Dani_30

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by stc834 View Post
    ...Open internet explorer properties, click "Security" tab, then Select "Local intranet" and click the "Sites" button. Click "Advanced", then add the IP address of the computer where the access file is located, don't forget to add the "//" or "\\" before the IP...
    While this solved your problem, stc834, the OP has already stated that the PCs in question have full rights/access to the Folder in question, and so doesn't apply here.

While it's still not really clear, it sounds as if you have a single, Non-Split Database , on a shared server, and have multiple users accessing this single file.

As the 'Man with the Mashie' has suggested, this database needs to be Split into a Front End - Back End configuration. But his statement that this is a "VERY good practice" really doesn't go far enough; this is actually an 'absolutely has to be done practice!'

Having multiple users sharing a single, non-split database, sitting on a network drive is the sure way to repeated episodes of corruption! Multiple users simply have to work off of a split database, with each user having their own copy of the Front End, which contains everything except the data/tables, on their respective hard drives, and a Back End with all Tables on a shared drive.

Being in forced retirement, I spend 6-8 hours a day here and on other Access forums/newsgroups, and over the past six years have seen dozens and dozens of reports similar to yours! The really insidious thing is that the app can work for extended periods of time before the troubles begin! But once it does, they become chronic, which is to say they occur over and over and over again!

The record, by the way, was a Non-Split db that had been working, without problems, for 12 years! It then started exhibiting the exact same symptom you describe here and continued to do so until the app was split.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007