Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unanswered: "Exists" clause in Access??

Hello ,
    I'm in the process of writing a query in MS Access using SQL. I'm normally accustomed to writing SQL statements in Oracle-based SQL....

Could you tell me if there is an Access equivalent to the "EXISTS" statement?

yes there is
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    yes there is

Is this an attempt at humor? If so, there are other forums available for that sort of thing, instead of wasting member’s time with juvenile responses.

I think Rudy's response is because EXISTS is pretty standard SQL (and part of the SQL Standard) and is TMK present in just about any major rdbms implementation.

It may also have been in his mind that a test of a very simple sql statement or a brief search of help might have elicited the answer.... Though not actually all that good I understand that Access help files eclipse Oracle documentation.

Excellent access sql resource:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...ffice.10).aspx
    part one of three.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by r937
    yes there is
    Quote Originally Posted by tmalone
    Is this an attempt at humor?
    I thought it was quite a god attempt
    What are you trying to achieve in your SQL in Access - perhaps provide us with what you've tried so far?
    -Gv
    George
    Home | Blog

please don't get your shorts into such a knot

you asked a question and i gave you a specific and accurate answer

if you would like to ask a followup question, in case there is something about my answer that you still do not understand, then please do -- i'm not sure whether i will be willing to answer it, given how easy you are to get angry, but there are other experts around and i'm sure one of them will be happy to step in
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Provided Answers: 59
    Is this an attempt at humor? If so, there are other forums available for that sort of thing, instead of wasting member’s time with juvenile responses.
    be fair
    you did ask your question in a manner which could elicit a simple response. Rudy's answer was short, succinct and 100% accurate. The problem didn't lie with the answer, it lay with the question. if you want to beat up on someone try the questioner

Personally of all the contributors to this site Rudy is probably THE one who least worthwhile ripping into with wisecrack statements.

if you are concerned about wasting a members time, then mebbe you should have thought much more carefully about what you wanted assistance on, bearing in mind that contributors like Rudy answer questions entirely off their own bat.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I think I'll step in and ask a different question:
    What is the MS Access equivalent to the "EXISTS" statement in SQL?

And hey, lighten up Don't get narked with Rudy - he's not here to answer your questions, he's here because he wants to be. Let him has his fun He's teaching you a lesson in the process, so you might want to thank him!
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    be fair
    you did ask your question in a manner which could elicit a simple response.
    Actually I think it elicited a simpleton response.
    Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    Rudy's answer was short, succinct and 100% accurate. The problem didn't lie with the answer, it lay with the question. if you want to beat up on someone try the questioner.
    You have to be kidding? It's clear his original response was an attempt at sarcasm. Furthermore, if it could not be gleaned from my original question, that I was looking for the Access equivalent of the EXISTS clause, then perhaps both he, and you, have a reading comprehension problem.

Clearly, there are varying levels of knowledge on the Forum. So responses such as Rudy's don't exactly encourage prospective members to post questions... Particularly, when they're of the smart-ass variety. In any event, what's past is past.

Thanks Poolte for the link.

It's clear his original response was an attempt at sarcasm. Furthermore, if it could not be gleaned from my original question, that I was looking for the Access equivalent of the EXISTS clause, then perhaps both he, and you, have a reading comprehension problem.
    rule #1 of holes: when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging

what is very clear is not that we have a reading comprehension problem, but that you have a question posing problem

as others have realized, and you did not, my "simpleton" answer was intended to make you stop and think

that you should let the direction of your thoughts drift into personal innuendo reveals more about your character than you might think

a smarter person would have paused and thought "hmmm, i wonder what the equivalent might be?"

a really smart person, amongst whose number it is now clear that we cannot count you, would simply have tested the sql and discovered something quite interesting

by the way, if i had intended to be a smartass, i would have answered your original question ("could you tell me...") with "yes i could"
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

I test if "EXISTS" with IsNumeric on Autonumbering Fields within Recordset I don't know Oracle - I don't know if this helps but trying to get back to the Question!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMT
    I test if "EXISTS" with IsNumeric on Autonumbering Fields within Recordset I don't know Oracle - I don't know if this helps but trying to get back to the Question!
    Simon
    I agree, thanks for the reply.

Rudy,
    Bury the hatchet, life's too short.

tmalone - get off your high-horse and try climb out of that hole.
    Could you tell me if there is an Access equivalent to the "EXISTS" statement?
    Furthermore, if it could not be gleaned from my original question, that I was looking for the Access equivalent of the EXISTS clause, then perhaps both he, and you, have a reading comprehension problem.
    Mighty big spade you have there.

Next time you should probably TRY BEFORE you ask - I think you could have worked this out yourself with the tiniest of tests.
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    tmalone - get off your high-horse and try climb out of that hole.
    GeorgeV,
    Rule #2 on Holes -- When one encounters someone such as you; they are best ignored.
    Last edited by r937; 05-18-07 at 11:56.

Oh super - is this still going? When I was growing up we couldn't fight with people across the world in real time. What progress!

Shall we stop now? Everyone.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.