Unanswered: Contacts DB - importing and other advice

I am converting our office data into a database. I have brought this from word into excel.

So now my excel file contains:

First Name, Last Name, Position, Company, Address1, Address2.......so
    on and so forth. Each element is in a differing column.

I am stuck with a database. Should I use the contacts template in
    OFFICE or come up with my own database? The problem is, we will likely
    change the features of the database as time goes on. for instance,
    adding email address fields, and other assorted uses. So I am unsure
    if ACcess is friendly enough to allow us to change or add these
    features.

In any event, I really dont know how to import data INTO the contacts
    db, assuming we use the contacts template.....rahter, I dont know what to do once it is actually imported. Trying to import to an existing table gives me an error. I can import them to a new table, but what do I do next?

chaz

Importing is easy.

When you create the Contacts DB, just go to file, Get External Data, Import and select the method of importing. You can import via another db or through a file such as excel.

Let me know what else you need. I have a db that might work for you for that. I can zip it and upload it here but I have to get it from the work computer tomorrow.

Graf,
    Being new to access, well, not new, but new enough, I am stuck on what to do with it once I get it imported. For instance, reports look like crap, and for another thing, the BUILT IN FORM to INPUT new contacts doesnt seem to know I have imported anything.

We will use this for mailing lists (invites, xmas cards, etc) as well as some really unknown uses for now. Maybe I am better off with filemaker, but I thought I could try access and see what I could do with it.

You can always email me the db you were talking about, and I do want to learn as much as I can as well. This seems like a decent place to do that.

I appreciate your response.

chaz

Chaz,

Zip the information you have now, the Excel spreadsheet and the db, and upload it here, I'll take a look at it and see if I can help you out.

Files are attached.............I really apprecciate your willingness to help me.

chaz
    Attached Files Attached Files

Chaz,

I attached what I believe you're trying to do. Let me know. Bypass your switchboard and check out your new table : ContactsII

I DID NOT set a Primary key, so you'll have to do that. Also noticed that you may want to change the name of your tables, forms, and other parts of the db to reflect what they are. Like:

tblContacts

**Also, I imported the data and made the new table, it does not contain all of the same fields as in your original Contacts table, you need to rename them and add the additional ones that are missing. I'm doing that now to see if there is any other issues.

Bryan

This zipped db has the changes. I don't know if that's what you were after, let me know.

Bryan