Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13

    Unanswered: Viewing Transaction Log of sybase ASE 12.0

    How can one view the contents of transaction log ? The syslog table only stores the transaction id and no of update operation but not the sql query representing the transaction ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Willy is on vacation
    Posts
    1,208
    Sybase officially does not supply any utility to view the contents of the log. CA used to sell a Product called Log Analyzer for Sybase. Not sure if they still do?

    Whitesands, I believe has something that can do on Sybase.

    Otherwise try dbcc logtransfer ('scan', 'normal'), this is how Rep Server scans the log, the output is in LTL (Log Transfer Language). I have never tried this, I would say this will need trace 3604 enabled. Sorry, I'm no where near any Sybase servers, test it first on non-prod and show the output.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by goraksh
    How can one view the contents of transaction log ? The syslog table only stores the transaction id and no of update operation but not the sql query representing the transaction ?

    try the following:

    dbcc traceon (3604)
    dbcc log

    Note: read up on dbcc log as it takes a number of useful parameters also which might be of significance to you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman View Post
    try the following:

    dbcc traceon (3604)
    dbcc log

    Note: read up on dbcc log as it takes a number of useful parameters also which might be of significance to you.
    Excuse me I am a beginner in sybase, where and how to execute this command? I need to read the transaction log file

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    545
    Provided Answers: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by robert_tr View Post
    Excuse me I am a beginner in sybase, where and how to execute this command? I need to read the transaction log file
    Exactly why do you need to read the transactionlog?
    Is it possible you mean the [i]error[/]log? The errorlog is a textfile you can view with any textviewer. It contains certain errors en other useful information.
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Martijnvs View Post
    Exactly why do you need to read the transactionlog?
    Is it possible you mean the [i]error[/]log? The errorlog is a textfile you can view with any textviewer. It contains certain errors en other useful information.
    Thanks,

    I want to see some queries that were run, as was done

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1

    watch this

    Translate this page in english, after all, they don't say that everything is watchable but it's quite interesting.

    Sybase - Lire les journaux de transactions avec dbcc log

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by ZionAssedo View Post
    Translate this page in english, after all, they don't say that everything is watchable but it's quite interesting.

    Sybase - Lire les journaux de transactions avec dbcc log
    Thank you!!!!
    I tried execute the command dbcc log but wasn't successfully. Where I must execute? I tried in iSQL. How to execute this command?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4

    ASEisql not appropriate

    ASEIsql (BTW A wonderfull tool ) is not appropriate for this operation,
    you should try with isql.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4

    in Isql

    Excuse me I did not fully understand your post :
    in isql it is like this :
    isql -Uxxx -Pyyy (assume xxx/yyy is your user/pass)
    dbcc traceon (3604)
    go
    dbcc log
    go


    Thats enough to get a result.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by AssedoZion View Post
    Excuse me I did not fully understand your post :
    in isql it is like this :
    isql -Uxxx -Pyyy (assume xxx/yyy is your user/pass)
    dbcc traceon (3604)
    go
    dbcc log
    go


    Thats enough to get a result.
    Excuse me, I am very beginner in sybase, tried to run the command that tells me "isql -Uxxx -Pyyy" but nothing appears, my OS is windows.

    I searched for an executable with the name isql but I found this:

    dbisql.exe

    Thank you

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman View Post
    try the following:

    dbcc traceon (3604)
    dbcc log

    Note: read up on dbcc log as it takes a number of useful parameters also which might be of significance to you.
    thank you digiman got answer i am also beginner keep posting latest about sybase dba.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •