Unanswered: Emailing a report as a pdf

Is there any way to email a report as a pdf? I have a report which I designed in Word. (The reason was that, at the user's request, the report had to look as much like an existing manually-produced report as possible, and it had logos and things like that on it). I copied and pasted it into an Access report then dragged on the fields from the database. When the report is generated it looks fine, and prints out with no problems.
    The user now wishes to be able to send a copy of the report to clients by email. I've used the SendObjects command to do this, but the only thing which appears in the email is the raw data. All the stuff I've copied in from Word has disappeared. The user would like to be able to send the report as a pdf so that it looks identical to the printed out version, but I'm not sure if this is possible. Hope my description is clear, and that someone may have some advice I could follow. Thanks.

Provided Answers: 10
    It's not a pdf, but you might want to look at sending the file as a snapshot (look in the Access help ) HTH
    George
    Home | Blog

Hi,

The best way to do this would be to install some third party software onto themachines that you need to b able to mail the report from (if it is one machine then thats ok, but it needs to be on all if on a network).

Ok the best pieces of software out there (that i have come into contact with) are CiB PDF Brewer (Freeware) or Adobe Acrobat.

They'll install a print driver, then your client needs to be trained how to do send the pdf.

Basically send the report to print.
    Select CiB PDF Brewer/Arobat for the printer, instead of the default printer.
    The file will besaved to a location selected by the user, eg. My Documents.
    Create an email as normal and send.

You could go one step further, if you defined the location the file will be placed in, then i guess a macro may be able to be set up to pull this file and email from access. but personally, i'd go with what i said above, at least this way they can create thier own mail to go with etc.

Hope this helps

dan
    sometimes simple is best.... and i'm just a simple fellow.

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have said that I tried setting it up to send as a snapshot, but the user wasn't happy with this. They just want to be able to click a button and have the report appear as a pdf attachment in their email. Dan, I guess your suggestion of creating a macro to automate setting up the email will be the way to go. I'm open to any other simpler suggestions, though.

Have you thought about using HTML format attachments?
    Why *exactly* do you *need* it to be a pdf?
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    Have you thought about using HTML format attachments?
    Why *exactly* do you *need* it to be a pdf?
    The guy I'm doing this for specifically asked for it to be a pdf, as he feels comfortable with them and has confidence that they will look exactly the same as the printed version for the recipient. The emailed report acts as a confirmation and back up for the printed version, which gets sent by post to the client. (It has to be on paper and hand-signed for legal reasons).
    I haven't tried the HTML attachment - not sure how to set that up to be honest - but I'll investigate this and if it seems to fulfil what the user wants then I'm sure I can persuade him it's the better option.

Just to let you know, i have had formatting issues with the html fomat, and my preference swings towards pdfs, as it looks in the pdf exactly how it would when printed (as it is printing to an electronic fil rather than printer).

I've not used macro's to set up an email and attach a file before,maybe a seperate thread may be in order for that???

dan

he emailed report acts as a confirmation and back up for the printed version, which gets sent by post to the client. (It has to be on paper and hand-signed for legal reasons).
    I can completely understand why people want to use PDF's, but this situation sounds like overkill. Send a shapshot of the report to the customer, print it off, sign it and send it in the post - why the need to complicate things?
    George
    Home | Blog

I have noticed that snapshots aren't that fantastic to use, and they require a reader at the user's end, which not everyone has and often requires an install. (or at the very least, microsoft office)

most people have an adobe reader of some sort. In fact most people have it on thier systems and dont even know, and an adobe reader comes with a lot of new pcs on the first install, and another addedbonus, you don't need any microsoft software to read it, which is great for apple users or microsoft haters.

If i was the customer i would have chosen either HTML formatting (if the letterheading of the document were not too complex) or PDF if the letterhead is quite graphical...

anyhow thats my 2p worth for today!!!

dan

Quote Originally Posted by kabuki
    Is there any way to email a report as a pdf? I have a report which I designed in Word. (The reason was that, at the user's request, the report had to look as much like an existing manually-produced report as possible, and it had logos and things like that on it). I copied and pasted it into an Access report then dragged on the fields from the database. When the report is generated it looks fine, and prints out with no problems.
    The user now wishes to be able to send a copy of the report to clients by email. I've used the SendObjects command to do this, but the only thing which appears in the email is the raw data. All the stuff I've copied in from Word has disappeared. The user would like to be able to send the report as a pdf so that it looks identical to the printed out version, but I'm not sure if this is possible. Hope my description is clear, and that someone may have some advice I could follow. Thanks.

kabuki,

Try using the attached db to export your files to a PDF. I don't believe it even requires you to have Adobe Professional but just the downloadable, free reader on the machines. You can then modify it to send it to a mail receipiant.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Grafixx01

Just come back onto the forum after the weekend and found your post. I tried the db out and it works a treat - I think with a bit of fiddling this will be exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Not a problem. Hope that helped. I'll try to find the program that I have for the db that'll automatically start MS Outlook and import the PDF file to be sent as an attachment.