Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Help...Anyone...I just need help

Ok, I'm already almost a month behind the date that I set to implement this database. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that can help me fix some of the problems / actually, things that I require to have in the db ?? I'm attaching it to this post.

It's zipped and rar'ed because zipping didn't compress it enough to upload here.

Thanks,

Bryan
    Attached Files Attached Files

dude, maybe you should convert whatever your document is to a text file

i can unzip, but wtf is a rar?

i'm certainly not going to go out of my way to search the web and download some software to un-rar it

you should be doing the work if you want help, not us
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    dude, maybe you should convert whatever your document is to a text file

i can unzip, but wtf is a rar?

i'm certainly not going to go out of my way to search the web and download some software to un-rar it

you should be doing the work if you want help, not us

WinRAR, you can google it or download it from www.downloads.com it's free. It compresses much, much better than zipping. Take for instance the fact that I zipped the db and doc from 5.66mb down to 900k with WinRAR then down to 500k with WinZip.

I'll redo with the doc as a txt.

like i said, i ain't going to download any software just to read your document

sorry, pal, but that's the way i see it -- you gotta do the work here, not us
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Ok, I managed to convert the doc to a txt and get it down to a 900k file. It's all zipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Grafixx01
    Ok, I'm already almost a month behind the date that I set to implement this database. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that can help me fix some of the problems / actually, things that I require to have in the db ??
    I don't know anyone here who will just do it for you. I don't know how your boss feels about outsourcing, but if you can't do it yourself, you may want to consider posting in the Job Opportunities.
    Me.Geek = True

Quote Originally Posted by Grafixx01
    Ok, I'm already almost a month behind the date that I set to implement this database. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that can help me fix some of the problems / actually, things that I require to have in the db ??
    I don't know anyone here who will just do it for you. I don't know how your boss feels about outsourcing, but if you can't do it yourself, you may want to consider posting in the Job Opportunities.
    Me.Geek = True

well, i read your requirements, and that sure looks like an entire project

couldn't open your mdb, and after reading your requirements, wouldn't have wanted to

have you thought about hiring someone?

the forum environment is more suited to specific -- and small -- questions and answers, rather than "please help me in an unspecified way with a large project that i've struggled over a month with"

good luck
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Well, thanks for you help guy.

you welcome
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

How about this: Try posting one of your major problems ... Perhaps you can get your help 1 piece at a time ... And related to previous posts, don't slap a problem up that you've not even taken a stab at yet ...

We're all waiting with baited breathe ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Quote Originally Posted by M Owen
    How about this: Try posting one of your major problems ... Perhaps you can get your help 1 piece at a time ... And related to previous posts, don't slap a problem up that you've not even taken a stab at yet ...

We're all waiting with baited breathe ...

Yeah, I've been doing that. Just figured that it may have been easier if anyone wanted to take a stab at the things that I've been working on for like two months now.

But I'll post in seperate threads.

That's really big.. I'm taking a look at it but my help will have to be kinda limited.

Admin menu - I would assume you could query the current user name (which I assume you are storing as a global variable) against a query that holds the adminstrators IDs in it. You may even write it into the onLoad event of the form so that it controls the visibilty of the button.

Archiving anything over 90 days - Depending on how you define adminstrator within your organization I might not leave it to Admin but instead make it an automated task. Do you need help with the archiving or with the privledges?

Second Popup - So it sounds like you need to use your popup form to direct to this second form. What's the question?

Email - I'm not well versed in sending emails out of access, sorry I am no help here. You could make this an additonal pop up

hiding the MSAccess background - maybe someone knows better than me but I think you need to use real vb to get the forms without the nasty blue background. I would love to learn how to not have it though if someone could tell.

Special reports for admins - so put those reports on the admin screen or treat the buttons like I suggested for the admin button. In fact, build one function and call it a bunch a times, it's almost like OOP :-)

Send and email to the contact - I defer to someone else. I have never done the email out of access thing

Is this an accurate breakdown of the questiosn?

Provided Answers: 10
    Admin menu - could simply be a form with a password?
    E-mail - DoCmd.SendObject (if memory serves)
    Hiding the MS Background - I have an example somewhere courtesy of GolferGuy (www.vicrauch.com) that I will dig out if I get a spare few - but this is not really needed - so just leave it until LAST.
    George
    Home | Blog

starkmann,

Admin Menu:

I have the users defined according to user access levels, not through the MS Access User Level Security though. It's all contained within tables of the database. I made it one time that the "Administrator Menu" button was not viewable by someone who did not have the permissions, but if they opened a form and then went back to the main menu, it appeared for them to access it.

Archiving:

I'd like to set it up as an automated task that will happen every 90 or 120 days, but I'd also like to set it up that the Administrators can do it when they want. I also have to set it up to back-up the database on a regular basis because the people around here, well, lets just say that everything they touch on a computer ends up getting messed up.

Second popup: I don't follow you on this one.

Email and Hiding MS Access window: Not important to do right now, just trying to get everything else going first.

As for "special reports": I said some thing about that? Hmmm, I'll have to go back and look at it cause I don't remember.

Thanks though for everything, even just taking a look at it.