Unanswered: New secure database

Hi,

I created a simple secure Access 2003 database a few years ago.

I would like to create another seperate Access 2003 database that uses the same exact "secured.mdw" file as the other database so the same people have the same rights to the new database.

Is this possible to do ?
    If so, how do i proceed ?
    Thanks.

Before, I did some forms and whatnot in another db, I just imported them through:

File -> Get External Data -> Import

I know there is a 'link' option there too, I've just never used it before.

Provided Answers: 59
    the mdw file is usually associated with a copy of Access not a specific file. soanybody currently using access with the mdw file set to 'secured' will open any access db using the groups & permissions in that file

its one of the problems of using access security that your mdw file can be overwritten or opened using another mdw file. This happens frequently if your netwrok trolls decide to keep re-installing offcie as they have nothing better to do than wind up app support.

you can partially get round that problem by enforcing a check in the application on startup.. ie making sure that the current mdw file has some of the settings (group & user accounts) you expect, you can also associate which workgroup file to use with access on startup if you have control of the users desktop. (I forget which but there is a command line switch which tell access to open with a specified mdw workgroup file [just guessing its probably /w<blah>])

Its also possible to disconnect formt he netwrok, fire up Access (usuing a local security mdw file, installed by default in the user or shared proficle), and then connect to the network. Thats why deployign access workgroup security needs a good support from network support, careful design of file areas and permissions)
    Last edited by healdem; 05-22-07 at 13:06.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Wow, was I wrong. Or it seems that way. I may have just misunderstood the question.

I better explain myself better; I think nobody understood my question.

3 years ago I created a secure 2003 Access database, with it's own "Secured.mdw" file, with unique users/groups. The 'database.mdb" file can only be accessed through that exact Secured.mdw file I created, and no other.
    It can not be opened through Microsoft's provided "Secured.mdw" file either.

Now I want to create a new completely separate database ( .mdb ) that uses the same old "Secured.mdw" file I created for the previous database, and NOT the one provided by Microsoft.

Can this be done ? If so, how ?

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 59
    post No 3 applies
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    post No 3 applies
    So I did read the question wrong. Geez, I'm still learnin' at this whole Access thing!