Unanswered: Net Address in SQL Server Activity Monitor (2000 and 2005)

What does the column "Net Address" in the SQL Server Activity Monitor represent? The column is found in both SQL 2005 and SQL 2000.

According to an MS website:
    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    Assigned unique identifier for the network interface card on each user's workstation. When the user logs in, this identifier is inserted in the Network Address column.
    I had always just assumed that it was the MAC address of the machine in question. I am finding, however, that this is not always the case.

I have a situation right now where one of my app servers has 10 connections (that's okay), but there are two different "Network Addresses" and neither of these references the app server's MAC address (or any other MAC on our network).

I found another user with the same issue, with perhaps a better description:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScripts.com
    SQL Server 2005 SP2 question:

The SSMS "Activity Monitor" provides a column "Net Address".
    In most cases, this is the MAC address of the client's ethernet card.
    In some cases, it is all zeros, and the "host" column contains the
    client's IP address.

In some cases, the "Net Address" value is just bogus.
    Furthermore, when I connect to a SQL Server 2000 instance,
    from the same client machine, Enterprise Manager displays the
    correct MAC address.

Has anyone else encountered this?
    And I just now checked using both SQL 2000 EM and SQL 2005 SSMS. I logged into a SQL 2000 Standard (SP4, non-clustered) running on Windows 2003 (SP1) from my Windows XP (SP2) machine. With SQL 2000 (EM), I saw the Network Address and it clearly corresponds to my machine's MAC address. With SQL 2005 (SSMS), I saw a completely different address that corresponds to nothing that I can see whatsoever.

This is one of those things that is making me go hmmmmm....

Regards,

hmscott
    Last edited by hmscott; 05-22-07 at 14:19.
    Have you hugged your backup today?