Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Naming conventions

I read the Access Ten Commandments today:
    http://www.mvps.org/access/tencommandments.htm

forgive my noobish glow but, and recommendations on naming conventions? I have typically tried to use Nametbl, Nameqry, Namefrm, Namerpt and try to name things along the same lines, like Issue table for the primary table of my app, Issueqry for the query that brings together the lookups with the Issuetbl. Issuefrm would probably look at that and last Issuerpt for the big report with everything. Then as I add criteria I tend to add that to the name, like IssueOpenByUserrpt and so on.
    Thoughts, crticisms, ideas?

I'm off to try an look up DB splitting now.

naming conventions are great, as is plainly evidenced by how many of them there are

if you have a naming convention, use it -- it will be a great comfort to you if you have to maintain your own code, and it might even help someone else if they have to maintain your code after you're gone
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Fair enough. So 'almost' anything works as long as you stick to it like glue, eh.

No spaces in object names.
    Use CamelBackStyle rather than underscore_style.
    Don't use object type prefixes such as "sp", "tbl", or whatever.
    Eschew Acronyms.
    Name your objects so that your SQL statements read like sentences.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Name your objects so that your SQL statements read like sentences.
    Oh, that one seems like a really good one. They're all good but that one is one I hadn't thought of, yet so obvious

UnlessOfCourseYouAreParticuallyVerboseAndHaveATend ancyToOverexplainEverything.
    "An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly understood; an inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." ~G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by msmeland
    UnlessOfCourseYouAreParticuallyVerboseAndHaveATend ancyToOverexplainEverything.
    IAmGuiltyOfThatPrettyOften

Quote Originally Posted by starkmann
    ...as long as you stick to it like glue, eh.
    no way

you want to be able to unstick yourself from it painlessly, should it turn out, in retrospect, to be silly

you know, like naming all your tables with 'tbl' as the first three characters
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

stupid question but a couple of you mentioned not naming your items with a prefix. I don't but why is that so bad? You have to read four more characters to see what you are talking about but is there something more I am missing?

"nounParis prepIn artThe nounSpring"

the prefixes sure make it easier to read, don't they

props to Joe Celko
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

lol fair play there.

That guy has a cool site w/ the SQL puzzles and all.Bookmarked.

There is a naming convention by the International Standards Organization. Check out 11179-5 under ISO 11179
    Last edited by certus; 05-24-07 at 21:30.

now that is really cool. I have to admit, I have basically skimmed at this point but I want to come back to it. Most of what I have seen is pretty common sense but with a little structure thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by starkmann
    stupid question but a couple of you mentioned not naming your items with a prefix. I don't but why is that so bad? You have to read four more characters to see what you are talking about but is there something more I am missing?
    In SQL it really doesn't tell you much. Table names can only go in certain places, likewise with attribute names. That's the benefit of the complex syntax.

The practice probably came from C programmers. In C there's no way to tell if a variable is a "long" or a "short" integer and you can get into all sorts of trouble if you get them mixed up. And C allows you to have global variables strewn all over your project.

SQL can have the same problem, especially since CHAR(40) is a different type than CHAR(30), but it's mitigated to a large extent because all the type definitions being in the schema. You can still run into problems with temporary variables in triggered procedures, but it's nowhere near as bad as C.

I do use prefixes in one case: sometimes I group sets of related columns when it's a particularly wide table. In this case, it makes sense, to me at least, to deliniate these groups with prefixes. You can also plan ahead by creating queries that split the table up for you, e.g.

Code:
    CREATE TABLE LotsOfColumns (
      primaryKey INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
      namFirstName CHAR(),
      namLastName CHAR(),
      homStreet CHAR(),
      homCity CHAR(),
      homZIP CHAR(),
      wrkStreet CHAR(),
      wrkCity CHAR(),
      wrkZIP CHAR()
    );

CREATE VIEW Names AS
    SELECT primaryKey, namFirstName as firstName, namLastName as LastName
    FROM LotsOfColumns;

CREATE VIEW  HomeAddys AS
    SELECT primaryKey, homStreet as street, homCity as city, homZIP as ZIP
    FROM LotsOfColumns;

Just another ingredient in the pot (since the thread is entitled "Naming conventions, here's another for you!) ...
    I unfortunately have to program in FoxPro a fair amount and the naming conventions in there have to be one of it's only good features
    Each variable is prefixed with 2 characters

1st Character:
    l = local
    p = public

2nd Character:
    n = number
    c = character
    b = boolean
    etc etc...
    George
    Home | Blog