Unanswered: Delete in DB2 v7.2

I see questions related to the delete process but have yet to see them related to DB2... so I'm posting my question.

I have a DB2 v7.2 database that is fed by Tivoli. I do not have enough disk space to accomodate all the data for even two months. So I have to summarize last months data and then delete it so that I free up disk space for this months data collection. This means I have to delete approximately 150 million records each month. I have to run an sql that deletes 5 days worth of records, then reorg the database, delete 5 days, reorg the database, reorg, delete, reorg, etc... If I try to delete all in one process, my db2diag.log indicates my tablespace is full or my log file space is full..... I use circular logging... My table space is on a 68 gig drive that does go down to zero when processing over extended...

I'm told that I can do a "purge" but don't know anything about that.

Any "detailed" help would be appreciated.

- V7 is out of service for more than 1 year. You may want to upgrade to V8.
    - You could use NOT LOGGED INITIALLY and delete all the data in a single shot. Since you are using circular logging, I don't think that recoverability of the database is an issue at all for you, is it?
    - You could truncate the whole table, i.e. _all_ rows. But is this what you want?

I would recommend that you move to Version 9 and use range partitioned tables with easy roll-in/roll-out mechanisms being available.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Upgrading is not allowed at this time.... that costs money... and money is something management doesn't give to the peons.

Sorry... we are working on requesting an upgrade... in the meantime, I have to work with what I have, which is 7.2. Unfortunately.... the company I work for is under tight budget restrictions right now.

Quote Originally Posted by stolze
    - V7 is out of service for more than 1 year. You may want to upgrade to V8.
    - You could use NOT LOGGED INITIALLY and delete all the data in a single shot. Since you are using circular logging, I don't think that recoverability of the database is an issue at all for you, is it?
    - You could truncate the whole table, i.e. _all_ rows. But is this what you want?

I would recommend that you move to Version 9 and use range partitioned tables with easy roll-in/roll-out mechanisms being available.

Ken... Unfortunately, your suggest is not much help... I can't simply upgrade... you work for IBM, you know it's not that simple. You don't just wave a wand and poof, upgrade appears. I need to work with what I have at the moment.

Provided Answers: 1
    Export the data you want to keep, truncate the table, and load the remaining data back.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Quote Originally Posted by myBoo
    Unfortunately, your suggest is not much help... I can't simply upgrade... you work for IBM, you know it's not that simple. You don't just wave a wand and poof, upgrade appears. I need to work with what I have at the moment.
    I gave you three different approaches that you could follow. I understand that an upgrade is difficult for you, so that leaves two ways (with n_i's refinement) to deal with that. How about those? As for the upgrade: Your configuration is not a serious production system, so the DB2 Express-C edition (no charge) may be suitable for you.

p.s: Sorry, I don't know that it's "not that simple" to upgrade for you. How could I?
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development