Question Unanswered: Materialized View question

I just googled the following about Materialized Views ...

"When they are used within a database, they are used much like an index; for performance. In addition, like an index, they should be able to be dropped without affecting an existing query. In other words, your code should not be dependant upon their existence."

Does this mean that I should not create a regular view or procedure that explicitly references a materialized view that I created?

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 4
    Could you post a link to this document?

Quote Originally Posted by tomstone_98
    I just googled the following about Materialized Views ...

"When they are used within a database, they are used much like an index; for performance. In addition, like an index, they should be able to be dropped without affecting an existing query. In other words, your code should not be dependant upon their existence."

Does this mean that I should not create a regular view or procedure that explicitly references a materialized view that I created?

Thanks.
    Since most of my usage of MVIEWS is in a WAN environment, I have never depended on query rewrite and almost always reference the mviews directly.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Provided Answers: 4
    That's why I'd like to see the context of the posted sentence.

You do not need to reference a materialized view in your query. The optimizer can automatically find the MV by comparing your SQL query and the view definition.

However, you, of course, can reference the view directly. Actually, if you don't enable the query rewrite for a given view, the view won't be used for rewriting queries.

Dylan
    dylanwan.wordpress.com