Unanswered: connect to database is too slow

Hi,

db2 UDB Workgroup server edition v8.1 fixpak 8a
    db2 clients are at v8.1 fixpak 8

db2 connect to database command taking 20 to 30 seconds. It is the same case on the server or from db2 client also. There were no network delays. Sufficient connections are available at the server. This is not the first connection. CPU utilization on the server is normal. Connection pooling is also there. I tried from a db2 client of V8.1 fixpak 14, that also taking more time. Really i am not understanding what is causing the issue.

Any help or suggestions on this issue will be appreciated.

Ramesh

Hi,

Try to connect from the server hosting db2. If that works quick then, there may be a network issue.

also if it is the first connection then it may take some time.

Regards

Hari

Provided Answers: 1
    This being Windows, I suspect that the Windows domain controller may be the culprit. DB2 requests authentication from Windows, as you know. Check if the regular user login using a domain id is also slow. There must be other ways to measure domain controller performance, with which your system administrators should be able to help you.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Yes n i,
    I was suspecting the same cause(Authentication in the domain). I got lot of support from you. I was experiencing the slow login issue with my domain id to log on to the server. Here i have a small doubt... the connections are not always slow. Rebooting of the server is solving the problem. After reboot , both database connections and logon to server are fast. This issue is repeating for one week. Can i still point the issue is with domain controller.
    Also the application snapshot is showing connection elapsed time as less than a second but phisically i am able to see that manual connection(command window) taking 20 to 30 seconds. Do you have some idea.

Thanks a lot for your help in this issue.

Provided Answers: 1
    Sorry, I'm not that good with Windows to give you any more information. Try Microsoft Technet, or buy a beer to your sysadmin and see if his tongue gets loose...
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Something else to consider is the ACTIVATE DB command. If a database is not activated explicitly, the first connect will do that implicitly. During activation, you will have crash recovery kicking in (if necessary) and log files/buffer pools/... are allocated.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development