Thread: Split DB...

Question Unanswered: Split DB...

Ok, first off, many thanks to pkstormy for helping me with this project. I never did think I'd end up getting to the point that I am at.

Paul split my db for me into a back-end and front-end which is some thing that I was originally looking at doing. I changed a few things, like the user login form as when a new user is detected it says that its going to launch the new user form, however, a message box comes up that tells the user they do not have the permission to access the database, they need to see the database administrator for access and that the database is now exiting. It then shuts down their connection to the db and closes access.

However, the back-end of the db currently is in a folder "downloads" (I believe Paul, you're running MS Vista??) but I am going to put it on a network share via an connection through 'map network drive' with the computer IP and in a folder called "Task.Tracker.ver.2.2007".

So I guess my question is, how can I switch the front-end to now point to THAT back-end?

Provided Answers: 6
    Tools/Database Utilities/Linked Table Manager is where you want to go. Select the tables and check the box titled "Always prompt for new location" to navigate to the new location. By the way, you'd be better off using a UNC path than a mapped drive.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy
    Tools/Database Utilities/Linked Table Manager is where you want to go. Select the tables and check the box titled "Always prompt for new location" to navigate to the new location. By the way, you'd be better off using a UNC path than a mapped drive.

A "UNC Path"? Can you explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Grafixx01
    A "UNC Path"? Can you explain?
    Basically a fully qualified name.
    \\Servername\sharename\directoryname\dbname.mde
    or
    \\Servername\c$\directoryname\dbname.mde

NOT
    H:\directoryname\dbname.mde
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Basically a fully qualified name.
    \\Servername\sharename\directoryname\dbname.mde
    or
    \\Servername\c$\directoryname\dbname.mde

NOT
    H:\directoryname\dbname.mde
    Ok, so if I put it on a computer and share the folder with the people who are going to have access to the db, then load the front-end on their machines, how could I do that?

Like say, given the following information:

Machine Name: DRUMWKGCMDH1A61
    Folder: Task.Tracker.2007 (it's right on the root directory)
    Machine IP: 152.32.156.296

**None of that is real information. Just trying to get an idea.

But what if I don't map the drive for them? Just put it in the suggestion above like to reset the "on load" procedures?

Bryan,

You also want to delete the tables from the front-end and re-link them. It may still be retaining the path where I linked the tables from the backend which was in my downloads directory. Once you copy both the mdb files to a location it's going to stay, delete the linked tables out of the front-end and relink them so they point to the new location (i.e. Files -> Get External Data -> Link tables) or you can do it as pbaldy suggested (which is basically doing the same thing without deleting the linked tables). You don't have to have the backend in a folder called downloads. It can be anywhere you want it to be. You just have to then tell the frontend where the data tables are. This can be done like pbaldy suggested or you can delete and relink the tables.

Don't worry, you're not deleting the data, just the link tables (as long as you do this in the front-end and NOT the backend!!)
    Last edited by pkstormy; 05-26-07 at 19:42.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy
    Bryan,

You also want to delete the tables from the front-end and re-link them. It may still be retaining the path where I linked the tables from the backend which was in my downloads directory. Once you copy both the mdb files to a location it's going to stay, delete the linked tables out of the front-end and relink them so they point to the new location (i.e. Files -> Get External Data -> Link tables) or you can do it as pbaldy suggested (which is basically doing the same thing without deleting the linked tables). You don't have to have the backend in a folder called downloads. It can be anywhere you want it to be. You just have to then tell the frontend where the data tables are. This can be done like pbaldy suggested or you can delete and relink the tables.

Don't worry, you're not deleting the data, just the link tables (as long as you do this in the front-end and NOT the backend!!)

Well, I'm good for now. I'm going to work on it and when I get the db working to the entire way I want, doing all I want, then I'll redo the splitting and linking. Figure right now it'll just create issues.