Unanswered: Reading db from another physical location

Hi

I have datadir=C:/MySQLData in my my.ini file.
    I have an external harddisk that contains a huge mysql database.

Is there any way I can dynamically add another location to datadir ? (Say like F:\somefolder\)
    Or atleast the new location temporarily instead of the one mentioned in the config file ?

Anjanesh
    MySQL 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by anjanesh
    Hi

I have datadir=C:/MySQLData in my my.ini file.
    I have an external harddisk that contains a huge mysql database.

Is there any way I can dynamically add another location to datadir ? (Say like F:\somefolder\)
    Or atleast the new location temporarily instead of the one mentioned in the config file ?

Anjanesh
    I know that you can do this under UNIX but under windows I am not sure. I believe that all you would have to do is install the disk under your current windows installation and then mount the drive under Control Panel-> Admin Tools-> Computer Management --> Disk Management and install it there. This assumes that you are using 2K or XP.

Once the drive is installed and has a drive letter you should be able at that point to modify your my.conf file as you indicated to draw the db.

I dont think thats what Im looking for.
    How can I add F:/somedbfolder to my C:\Windows\my.ini dynamically ?

Code:
    datadir=C:/MySQLData; F:/somedbfolder
    MySQL 5.1

I don't know of any way to "dynamically" add it to your my.ini file. You will need to add it manually as far as I am concerned but then again, I am certainley not the authority on windows.

Incidently, how do you do it under a Unix environment? I'm curious to find out.

Using a procedural language, one can do anything in a UNIX environment. Yes, I can dynamically add a path to my my.conf (Its not ini under UNIX) file but I'm not sure why I would want to.