Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Unanswered: AnimateAPI - Fading forms - VB to VBA

Hi,

I would like to create a fade-in fade-out splash form.

I found code to achieve this in VB here:
    http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/en/cod...tewindow.shtml

But this is for VB ... so
    Can anyone advise the lines to be changed to use this inside Access?
    e.g. the lines with .Picture.Handle are incompatible with Access.

Many thanks
    (... the required level of VBA programming ability is beyond me).

O-zone.

Just a warning, this post might be considered a little negative by some.

I have had to work on more than one database/application that had "cute" stuff put into it, and as yet, I have not seen where the "cute" stuff did anything to actually help the users do their job better, more effeciently, or easier. In fact, I have felt that if half the time spent on being "cute" had been put into actually improving the database design, actual user interface where the work is done, and better reporting, it would have been a much better and productive tool for the business that paid to have it written. Then, when this database is converted to the next release of Access, this might, or might not work in the new environment.

In fact, the users have been very glad to get rid of the "cute" stuff. Of course that might be because the DB loaded in 5 to 10 seconds, rather than 4 to 5 minutes. So, I have found that the users like apps that work well, rather than one that has "cute" stuff in it.

Provided Answers: 10
    I have to agree completely with Vic.
    If and only if you can justify your need/want for this feature then I have a possible suggestion...
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 59
    I can understand on commercial software why you might want splash screen (to advertise), or if you have a lot of stuff to do in background (do some code intialisation, copy over config data from the main server, open up some slow loading forms in background for performance reasons.

but for me just because it looks "real purdee" isn't a good reason to include it. its a bit like attaching tones or music to events... does it improve the interface or is it there just because I can, or because it looks good on the CV. Id agree with Vic & Georgev.. if it isnt required, then dont do it.... use the time making the app more robust, mor bullet proof.. you can never ever do enough testing, you can never ever do enough retuning once your system is running .. to make sure your code does what the customer wants, when the customer wants it.

VBA is a relative of VB.. it isnt VB, there are lots of things you can do in VB that you cannot do in VBA. VB was targetted at people wanting to create software for general purpose use, Access VBA is targetted at trying to make accessing data a bit easier, which it does a fair job in my mind for the average user......
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

What a load of grumps. I'd rather be served by a dreadful but fully racked barmaid than an efficient frump.

+1 for sexy apps. I might dig out & post some frivilous code that does nothing of any use to man or beast just to annoy the others....
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by O-zone
    e.g. the lines with .Picture.Handle are incompatible with Access.
    Try googling for APIs to get the handles of access objects. I am sure I have used one somewhere once. Not 100% though....
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Sexy apps are fine if you have nothing better to spend your time on.
    I found that the hard way during my coursework - spent far too much time making things needlessly pretty instead of documenting my project. In my defence it is much more fun to make things pretty instead of documentation but which one is more important?
    If we'e being frivilous - here's a very simple possible solution
    Code:
    Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Dim i, x As Integer

Private Sub Form_Load()
        Me.TimerInterval = 5000
        i = 1
        x = Me.Width
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Timer()
        Me.TimerInterval = 50

DoCmd.MoveSize , , x * ((10 - i) / 10), x * ((10 - i) / 10)
        i = i + 1

If i = 11 Then
            DoCmd.Close acForm, "Splash"
        End If
    End Sub
    QAD - QED -
    George
    Home | Blog

I should probably comment out that code...

...Instead I'll say: if you have any questions then ask!
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    ....What a load of grumps. I'd rather be served by a dreadful but fully racked barmaid than an efficient frump....
    Id rather get served.. full stop
    anything else is a bonus.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I've used this guys stuff before to make my apps aesthetically pleasing (unlike the above guys' prefab monstrosities ):
    http://www.peterssoftware.com/winmanip.htm

Maybe some other ideas in amongst the samples:
    http://www.peterssoftware.com/
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    I'd rather be served by a dreadful but fully racked barmaid than an efficient frump.
    http://www.epicurean.com/articles/images/beer-head.gif
    Given the choice I know what I'd chose.
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    http://www.epicurean.com/articles/images/beer-head.gif
    Given the choice I know what I'd chose.
    That is one of life's necessities. You are talking about existing. Getting life's necessities in style is what I'm talking about. THAT is living.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

I used to throw in some really, really neat bells and whistles (only after I finished the project though). Did the users appreciate it (NO!!). Sure they thought it was nice (nice??? - somebody give me a choking strap!)

But I've also seen some really crappy interfaces and thought to myself, If only the developer had devoted a LITTLE more time into making the interface more user friendly and professional!

For example, how hard is to change the Allow Design Changes property to Design View Only so the stupid properties box doesn't always show up when the user opens the form??!!!

And while I'm complaining, I can't tell you how many times I've seen a bright blue background and bright color input boxes (yuck!!)

If it doesn't take a lot of time troubleshooting and cause other problems in the code, sure I'll throw in some bells and whistles (after I've done the gritty work). After all, I do like my apps to be noticed and be distinct from everyone elses.

I've seen developers spend weeks documenting to the ying-yang only to write 10 lines of code which any semi-experienced developer could figure out. It was funnier than #$!! to see the developers argue between themselves on how to declare a variable and the correct naming convention to use (I think I saw 3 days worth of emails on just that). I guess this is why you give 10 week project timelines for something which can be done in 2 weeks (I know, I know... the user changed something - another week of documentation.) I'm a fan of documenting things but let's get real!

Thanks for the link O-zone.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 05-30-07 at 14:17.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy
    I'm a fan of documenting things
    This implies that you LIKE documentation?!

There is nothing wrong with a good looking application! Heck I'm no stranger to adding bits of flashy and needless code "just because". Just picking up on something else you mentioned - over-documentation (yes, people do that!)... Personally I write "self-documenting" code - i.e. I comment everything that isn't remotely clear. I've always found this to be the easiest method - people can then simply look in the code and see what it does/what I was trying to achieve.

I'd still like the original poster to come back and converse - don't be afraid - only Poots bites
    George
    Home | Blog

I was an English minor so I have to like documentation (not that I have a choice) but I'm not a fan of reading a book to see what 10 lines of simple code do.

This to me is pretty self-evident on what it does (and nice example by the way):

Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Dim i, x As Integer

Private Sub Form_Load()
    Me.TimerInterval = 5000
    i = 1
    x = Me.Width
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Timer()
    Me.TimerInterval = 50

DoCmd.MoveSize , , x * ((10 - i) / 10), x * ((10 - i) / 10)
    i = i + 1

If i = 11 Then
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "Splash"
    End If
    End Sub
    Last edited by pkstormy; 05-30-07 at 14:22.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)