Unanswered: sorted_data option taking more time

Hi Folks..
    Need you help.I am in strange dilemma.

I used to think that creating clustered index with sorted_data option will take less time but unfortunately this is not happenning. It is taking more time than otherwise. I checked the physical_io from master..sysprocesses that this commands take and strangly the physical_io for sorted_data option was nearly 450000 whereas without sorted_data option, physical_io is only 75000.

I have no way to check the logical IO.

'set statistics io on' does not show statistics for create index command.

Is there any setting that need to be done . The table is AllPages locked table.

Please help.

A clustered index means that all entries on a data page are in index key order. So why do you again specify sorted-data during index creation, this is additional overhead as it is superfluous. This is why it uses more physical I/O.

Quote Originally Posted by sudarao
    A clustered index means that all entries on a data page are in index key order. So why do you again specify sorted-data during index creation, this is additional overhead as it is superfluous. This is why it uses more physical I/O.
    Oh.. really..
    Did you understand the question?

Interesting. What version of ASE ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nishant Gourav
    Hi Folks..
    Need you help.I am in strange dilemma.

I used to think that creating clustered index with sorted_data option will take less time but unfortunately this is not happenning. It is taking more time than otherwise. I checked the physical_io from master..sysprocesses that this commands take and strangly the physical_io for sorted_data option was nearly 450000 whereas without sorted_data option, physical_io is only 75000.

I have no way to check the logical IO.

'set statistics io on' does not show statistics for create index command.

Is there any setting that need to be done . The table is AllPages locked table.

Please help.