Unanswered: Different row count for select versus insert

The short version of this is that I have a situation where a SELECT * returns a different rows count than an INSERT INTO... (SELECT *). This makes no sense at all!!!

I am fairly new to Oracle, but I have been writing queries for DB2 and (occassionally) SQL Server for roughly 10 years, and this problem is new to me.

For years (supposedly), this process has worked and decided to stop working once I got onto this project.

THE PROBLEM:

Running SELECT SYSDATE, COL1, COL2, ... COL50 FROM PSEUDOVIEW returns 156 rows.

Running INSERT INTO PSEUDOTABLE (SELECT SYSDATE, COL1, COL2, ... COL50 FROM PSEUDOVIEW) returns 170 rows.

The extra 14 rows create a primary key violation on PSEUDOTABLE - who's primary key is COL0 - populated by SYSDATE - + COL1.

THE CLUES AND FACTS:

Like I said, the extra 14 rows create a primary key violation on PSEUDOTABLE - who's primary key is COL0 - populated by SYSDATE - + COL1. However, the extra rows are caused by erroneous values in (let's say) COL50.

PSEUDOVIEW is a comprised of a query that INNER JOINS / LEFT JOINS about 20 tables. COL50 is retrieved from a minor table that is joined via a LEFT JOIN

Obviously, I am not happy. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Is it possible that you're pointing to 2 different copies of PSEUDOVIEW? Are you running both of these statements from SQL*Plus, one right after the other? Or are they running from different programs/context (ie the SELECT in TOAD, and the INSERT from an application)?

---=Chuck

Nope - not possible. If you comment out the INSERT INTO PSEUDOTABLE portion and just run the SELECT FROM PSUEDOVIEW, you get different results.

I have run this by 3 or 4 people in house who also find this weird - they double checked for syntax and consistency in query components (object names).

P.S. I am running this from PL/SQL developer, but I have gotten the same results running this from SQLPLUS

What happens when you run the SQL which is used to construct the VIEW as a raw SELECT, then as an INSERT INTO (SELECT...)?

---=Chuck

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Running INSERT INTO PSEUDOTABLE (SELECT SYSDATE, COL1, COL2, ... COL50 FROM PSEUDOVIEW) returns 170 rows.

>The extra 14 rows create a primary key violation on PSEUDOTABLE - who's primary key is COL0 - populated by SYSDATE - + COL1.

Please provide a complete SQL*Plus session via CUT & PASTE that substantiates the 2 statements above.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

intersesting..... performing the INSERT using the SELECT query that comprises PSEUDOVIEW inserts the proper number of rows

Do what anacedent asked, just so eveyone can take a gander at your SQL*Plus output...

but then also search metalink for your version of Oracle, and "view" and "insert", or something like that. Perhaps it'll pop-up a bug report?

---=cf

sorry about the delay - after running the INSERT using the actual SQL from the view, INSERT worked. But before the band starts playing, this problem has one more issue: this insert is called from within a package, and that package still fails when it tries to perform that insert.

>that package still fails when it tries to perform that insert.
    While the statement above is likely true, it provides readers NO meaningful information.
    My car fails to go.
    Please tell me how to make my car go.

Are you unwilling or incapable of posting a CUT & PASTE of EXACTLY what is happening rather than you trying to describe what you think is or is not happening?

Thanks for your help last week.

No, I was not trying to have you fix my car by saying "my car is broken - fix my car". I was more trying to say "my car is making this strange noise (inconsistent row counts) - have you heard of anything like this".

I never got a chance to include the CUT and PASTE because I had just finished a work-around, and had to get that elevated immediately before I resume this fact-finding mission. Besides that, I had gotten to a point (between testing what you guys were suggesting and testing the work around) where I could not quickly reproduce the problem.

At any rate, below is my cut/paste from SQL developer.

Statement 1 is what I get when I run the work-around.
    Statement 2 is what I get when I run the original (reinstate) view.
    Statement 3 is what I get when I run the insert statement against the text from the CREATE VIEW statement (as suggested last week). I DID NOT include the whole statement because a) I am uncomfortable putting that data in a public forum on the web, and b) the CREATE VIEW statement is about 50 lines of WHERE/JOIN clauses and it would take me more time to explain it than I would be willing to invest.
    SQL>
    1) insert into liqrpt.act_part_contract
    (select sysdate, t.* from liqrpt.liq_fac_contract t);

156 rows inserted

Executed in 5.985 seconds

SQL>
    2)
    insert into liqrpt.act_part_contract

170 rows inserted

Executed in 0.687 seconds

SQL>
    3)
    SELECT DISTINCT sysdate, .....
    156 rows inserted

Executed in 5.156 seconds

SQL>

Hi.. did you actually find out what was the reason for this ???

Quote Originally Posted by bigal21 View Post
    Thanks for your help last week.

No, I was not trying to have you fix my car by saying "my car is broken - fix my car". I was more trying to say "my car is making this strange noise (inconsistent row counts) - have you heard of anything like this".

I never got a chance to include the CUT and PASTE because I had just finished a work-around, and had to get that elevated immediately before I resume this fact-finding mission. Besides that, I had gotten to a point (between testing what you guys were suggesting and testing the work around) where I could not quickly reproduce the problem.

At any rate, below is my cut/paste from SQL developer.

Statement 1 is what I get when I run the work-around.
    Statement 2 is what I get when I run the original (reinstate) view.
    Statement 3 is what I get when I run the insert statement against the text from the CREATE VIEW statement (as suggested last week). I DID NOT include the whole statement because a) I am uncomfortable putting that data in a public forum on the web, and b) the CREATE VIEW statement is about 50 lines of WHERE/JOIN clauses and it would take me more time to explain it than I would be willing to invest.
    SQL>
    1) insert into liqrpt.act_part_contract

156 rows inserted

Executed in 5.985 seconds

SQL>
    2)

170 rows inserted

Executed in 0.687 seconds

SQL>
    3)
    SELECT DISTINCT sysdate, .....
    156 rows inserted

Executed in 5.156 seconds

SQL>

>Hi.. did you actually find out what was the reason for this ???
    I doubt after almost 3 years you'll get a response from bigal21.