Unanswered: Mssql db backup tool

Hi all!
    I need to have a backup of a database that is stored on a remote server.
    Is there any tool to do it?

Thank you in advance

have a look at BACKUP syntax in BOL: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186865.aspx

alternatively you can use SSMS to backup a database - right click on the database and choose backup from the tasks context menu

If you for some reason have a urgent need of having the backup job at a different server than the database, there are many tools available for you doing just that. Symantec Backup Exec is among those that have a SQL Server Agent.

However, I personally find that it's better to have SQL Server taking backup to file, and then have my backupapplication backing up that file to tape.
    Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - MSSQL.no - Facebook - Twitter

Thank you roac; this is exactly what I need to do.

As far as the process you mention, I am complete novice and I do not know how to do that.

Well Martha, if you are a complete novice to backup you definitely NEED to have a look at how backups in SQL Server works, no matter what tool you are using. I've just seen SO many occurances where the backup knowledge is inadequate. You'll need to have a look at both database backup and log backup, and have a fairly good knowledge about how it all ties together.

There are a few differnces between SQL Server 2000 and 2005, but the principles are still the same, and I think http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ackuprest.mspx will be a good start for you.
    Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - MSSQL.no - Facebook - Twitter