Unanswered: Create view of 100 tables

I am curious if creating a view with over 100 fields in about 45 tables is an *acceptable* practice or if there is a better way to do this.

I am programming a php frontend to a mysql db and need to create the select statement. What I have are a lot of fields to be populated into a template. This template has a header to make the documant more readable then the corasponding data fields below it. The header is not stored in the db, only the fields. So I may have the following:

Code:
    customer (Header)
    name
    address
    city
    state

hobbies (Header)
    basketball
    football
    etc..
    These fields are scattered all throughout the db and I will need to join them all together to get what I need.

As I am thinking about this, it doesn't seem right. There has to be another way, or is this common practice?

I am not that proficient with php and I know I could probably create a class to handle multiple views but right now that is not an option for me.
    Last edited by Frunkie; 06-03-07 at 01:36.

Quote Originally Posted by fjm1967
    I am curious if creating a view with over 100 fields in about 45 tables is an *acceptable* practice or if there is a better way to do this.
    if the view is necessary, then it's acceptable

however, i doubt very much that you will be able to write an actual query that spans 45 tables

that is how you develop a view -- develop and test the underlying query first, make sure it is producing the correct results, then slap CREATE VIEW AS in front of it
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Its necessary but you are correct, not possible. I tried every which way and I just can't get it working. I am going to have to find another alternative using another php class.

Thanks for the pointer on the creation of the view; great advice. Now I know what I am up against.