Unanswered: SQL Server 2008 available in CTP

The best mail today was, witout doubt, the one from Grant Dickinson at Microsoft telling that SQL Server 2008 June CTP is available from the SQL Server pages at Microsoft.

It's time to play.
    Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - MSSQL.no - Facebook - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by roac
    The best mail today was, witout doubt, the one from Grant Dickinson at Microsoft telling that SQL Server 2008 June CTP is available from the SQL Server pages at Microsoft.

It's time to play.
    Crikey! We're not even done deploying 2005 yet!!!!

This every three years bit that M$ is targeting is going to be a royal pain. You have to wait about a year for the first service pack before you begin deploying into production. The rollout process can take quite a while (including development and test, it's been about 9 months for us). In a 24/7 shop, this isn't fun on top of the other projects we're working on.

On the other hand, it's a living.

Regards

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

I imagine there will be many customers that skip a release because of this. by the time you are caught up and ready to go with 2008, 2011 will have shipped the second CTP...

Quote Originally Posted by jezemine
    I imagine there will be many customers that skip a release because of this. by the time you are caught up and ready to go with 2008, 2011 will have shipped the second CTP...
    lol very true..... similar in our case......6 months from the time that a service pack is out a new version is released.....

Provided Answers: 6
    i give up. I am going to start selling flags and flowers and what not at major intersections.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 11
    Thanks for the link, Roac. Time to update maintenance scripts again, I guess.

Still we did not completed the migration from 2000 to 2005 and a new release, pain in the ars again.
    You guys are true, every week we deal with around 2 million rows, its not easy to move from one release to another.

Provided Answers: 11
    Consarn it! The CTP will not install on a box that has SQL2000 on it already. You would think that for a CTP they would warn you, but allow you to take the risk. Now I might have to find a new test box.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley
    Consarn it! The CTP will not install on a box that has SQL2000 on it already. You would think that for a CTP they would warn you, but allow you to take the risk. Now I might have to find a new test box.
    That's why I always use virtualization for this kind of stuff, mostly Virtual PC and Virtual Server. Yeah, I know... VMWare performs better, but still lacks (in free editions at least) both differential disk images (both VPC and Virtual Server has) and option to install a virtual cluster (Virtual Server does).
    Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - MSSQL.no - Facebook - Twitter