Unanswered: SetWindowsHookEx: Crashing Access faster than a speeding bullet ...

I'm running into a problem not long after the following line of code executes:

Code:
    lHook = SetWindowsHookEx(WH_CALLWNDPROC, AddressOf HookWindow, MyHwnd, MyThreadID)
    Basically, Access 2003 terminates viciously - The entire application disappears completely. Nothing is even left in the Task Manager.

I have read that the SetWindowsHookEx library call installs a hook procedure that intercepts messages before they get to the destination window.

When I run the code in a more limited environment, everything works fine and my target window gets modified as expected. However, when I drag the same code into my more complex environment with tons o' tabs, buttons, and subforms, Access dies a sudden (though hopefully painless) death.

Any ideas on what may be happening?

azjazz
    Last edited by azjazz; 06-05-07 at 20:56.

Provided Answers: 10
    It would be helpful to see what the function/sub SetWindowsHookEx looks like
    George
    Home | Blog

The SetWindowsHookEx prototype looks like this:

HHOOK SetWindowsHookEx(
    int idHook,
    HOOKPROC lpfn,
    HINSTANCE hMod,
    DWORD dwThreadId
    );

SetWindowsHookEx comes from Microsoft's user32 library.

You can read more about it here: SetWindowsHookEx MSDN Reference Material

azjazz

I found the solution.

The problem was with the "Declare Function SendMessage" declaration(s) that I had in my code.

The code I imported that was using the SetWindowsHookEx function had a different (and the correct) prototype for SendMessage. My old code had a different (and incorrect) prototype for SendMessage that wasn't being used previously.

Not knowing this, I had used the older incorrect prototype, and had commented out the newer correct prototype.

Once I saw the difference, and enabled the newer SendMessage prototype, everything is working fine.

Cheers!

azjazz